SOCL 2001 Chapter : OConnell 9/19

8 views1 pages
15 Mar 2019
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Structure the arrangement of and relations among the parts or elements of something complex(society). Statuses a socially defined position that an individual occupies. Ascribed status status" that are given, i. e. age, sex, race, etc. Achieved status status" that are chosen, i. e. parent, student, etc. Various status for me parent(roles: teacher, caregiver, friend), student(studious, responsible), Male, 28, white, geek , introvert (quiet, less sociable) Roles a set of expectations and behaviors associated with a status. Can show influence of society on individual behavior. Groups a number of people who have something in common. Primary groups personal, small groups; important for socialization. Secondary groups more time, but less personal; important for societal function. In group a social category to which persons feel like like they belong. Out group a group to which people feel they do not belong. Reference groups serve as sources of self-evaluation and influence how we think and act.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers