Department
Course
Professor
Rachel Timphony
Colleen King
Theater 1020
19 September 2014
Oedipus Rex
Is Oedipus Rex in control of his own destiny? Some would yes, but in my opinion I’d say no. the
reason I say this is because I completely believe that everyone has their own destiny, including Oedipus
Rex. Also, I believe that there is no way of changing that destiny no matter how hard you try. Just like
when King Laius and his wife heard the destiny of their child and tried to kill him by giving him to a
servant to throwing him off a cliff, but instead that servant gave the child to a Shepard where he would
grow up to be a prince in another kingdom. So in doing that it only set in motion the destiny they were
trying so hard to avoid. In turn, when Oedipus heard about his destiny he fled town in order to avoid his
mother and father only to find out later on that the people he thought were is parents actually were
not. So when Oedipus came to the duel in the crossway and killed a man out of self-defense he did not
realize that he actually killed his father. So you see everything he did to avoid his destiny only made him
come closer to it. The moral of this story, I think, is that you cannot avoid your destiny. You are put on
this earth for a reason and whatever that reason may be it will be fulfilled someway, somehow, no
matter how hard you try to avoid it.
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Some would yes, but in my opinion i d say no. the reason i say this is because i completely believe that everyone has their own destiny, including oedipus. Also, i believe that there is no way of changing that destiny no matter how hard you try. So in doing that it only set in motion the destiny they were trying so hard to avoid. In turn, when oedipus heard about his destiny he fled town in order to avoid his mother and father only to find out later on that the people he thought were is parents actually were not. So when oedipus came to the duel in the crossway and killed a man out of self-defense he did not realize that he actually killed his father. So you see everything he did to avoid his destiny only made him come closer to it. The moral of this story, i think, is that you cannot avoid your destiny.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers