71 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
Early learning and development
IMPORTANCE OF EARLY EXPERIENCE
• Essetial fo deelopet.
• Vito: ~yo oy ho eeged out of the foest i Fae i .
• Geie: disoeed age  i .
• Ophaage studies.
DEPREVATION STUDIES:
VICTOR / WOLF BOY:
Didn't learn how to speak and couldn't learn even after found... This suggests that there are
critical times for development
GENE: Simple language and awkward socially...unusual physical development after trying to
rehab her.
If you don't develope skills within teh critical periods they are extremely hard to pick up!
CRITICAL PERIODS? Or do we have sensitive periods
• Citial peiods ipotat i iology:
• Ipitig ipit a duk that you ae its paet so it follos you aound etc.)
• Foetal deelopet eg a othe takig dugs a effet soe pats of deelopet ut
not others etc.)
• But hua leaig is highly adaptie.
Critical period: you NEED that to happen in a certain period
vs
Sensitive periods: It is good to have it at certain stages but itys not critical, it can be
developed later on. Sensitive stages are more likely because humans are highly adaptive.
Cant really say if gene of victor were critical or sensitive because we don't know if there
were other issues such as autism which effected their development
• Do depiatio studies eeal eidee fo itial peiods?
• Case histoies too ulea to idetify ogai poles.
• Ipessie deelopetal gais i soe doais sho y ophas itodued to
enriched environments. ORPHANS SHOW SENSITIVE PERIODS rather than critical periods, as
one with foster parents and therapists there development occurred... A nurturing
environment for these kids really helped their development
We are more sensitive to input at different points in development, but often
compensation is possible
DEVELOPMENT: CONTINUOUS OR STAGE-LIKE?
• Is deelopet a gadual, otiuous poess that poeeds by incremental quantitative
change?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Importance of early experience: esse(cid:374)tial fo(cid:396) de(cid:448)elop(cid:373)e(cid:374)t, vi(cid:272)to(cid:396): ~(cid:1005)(cid:1006)yo (cid:271)oy (cid:449)ho e(cid:373)e(cid:396)ged out of the fo(cid:396)est i(cid:374) f(cid:396)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e i(cid:374) (cid:1005)(cid:1012)(cid:1004)(cid:1004), ge(cid:374)ie: dis(cid:272)o(cid:448)e(cid:396)ed age (cid:1005)(cid:1007) i(cid:374) (cid:1005)(cid:1013)(cid:1011)(cid:1004), o(cid:396)pha(cid:374)age studies. Didn"t learn how to speak and couldn"t learn even after found This suggests that there are critical times for development. Gene: simple language and awkward sociallyunusual physical development after trying to rehab her. If you don"t develope skills within teh critical periods they are extremely hard to pick up! Critical period: you need that to happen in a certain period vs. Sensitive periods: it is good to have it at certain stages but itys not critical, it can be developed later on. Sensitive stages are more likely because humans are highly adaptive. Culturally-mediated approach: aspects of environment (i. e. , social and physical) lead to different developmental outcomes - your enviroment effects your developemnt ( Nurture driven: physi(cid:272)al play (cid:448)e(cid:396)sus p(cid:396)ete(cid:374)d play. Pretend play: pretending a banana is a phone etc

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers