AIH205 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Lady Jane Grey, Christopher Marlowe, Postpartum Period

69 views2 pages
16 May 2018
Department
Course
Tahlia Ramsay Week 2 March 12-16
The first British Epire
Henry VII (1485-1509)
Henry was crowned king of England in 1485 after he death of Richard III in the battle of
Bosworth Field. He was the first Monarch of the House of Tudor. During his reign from 1485
to 1509, he was able to end political instability in Britain. He helped England recover from
the Black Plague and the Great Depression of the 14th etury. It wast util ow that
Britain joined in exploration and the building of empires. In 1486, Henry married Elizabeth of
York, whom reigned as queen, alongside Henry VII, until her death in 1503 from a post-
partum infection.
Henry VIII (1509-1547)
Edward VI (1547-1553)
Lady Jane Grey (1553)
Mary I (1553-1558)
Queen Elizabeth (1558-1603)
Elizabeth I was crowned Queen of England and Ireland in 1558. She was the daughter of
Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, his second wife whom was executed. The marriage was
annulled, and Elizabeth was deemed illegitimate. Her half-brother, Edward VI, ruled until his
death and then passed the crown onto Lady Jane Grey, ignoring the two half-sisters he had.
However, Edwards will was igored ad Mary I, his other half-sister, ruled as queen until
her death, when Elizabeth I took over.
The period of Quee Elizaeths reig ould soeties e alled the Elizaeth Era. Durig
this time, the Government stayed relatively stable, blood sports and hunting became
popular, alongside tennis and fencing. The movement of the English renaissance moved
through Europe in the form of Music, literature, theatre and poetry, but did not extend to
art. This saw the period of William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlow where going to the
theatre was popular pastime. Folk and Instrumental music rose and challenged what music
was already upon the times.
She gave the orders to disrupt and rain Spanish merchant and slave ships in the Atlantic and
commissioned Walter Raleigh undertake exploration under the British. But it was under King
James that British Settlement in the US began in 1607, 4 years after the end of Queen
Elizaeths reign.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Henry was crowned king of england in 1485 after he death of richard iii in the battle of. He was the first monarch of the house of tudor. During his reign from 1485 to 1509, he was able to end political instability in britain. He helped england recover from the black plague and the great depression of the 14th (cid:272)e(cid:374)tury. Britain joined in exploration and the building of empires. York, whom reigned as queen, alongside henry vii, until her death in 1503 from a post- partum infection. Elizabeth i was crowned queen of england and ireland in 1558. Henry viii and anne boleyn, his second wife whom was executed. The marriage was annulled, and elizabeth was deemed illegitimate. Her half-brother, edward vi, ruled until his death and then passed the crown onto lady jane grey, ignoring the two half-sisters he had.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers