FOOD20003 Lecture Notes - Lecture 33: Vitamin A, Low-Density Lipoprotein, Magnetic Core

33 views3 pages
Functional Foods & Supplements
Antioxidant Nutrients
Reducing agents donates H+ or e-
Oxidising agents accepts H+ or e-
Antioxidants are reducing agents
oIncludes vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals
oRole in preventing oxidation of biomolecules in the body and thus may assist in the
prevention of chronic disease
Free radicals and diseases
Free radicals = highly unstable chemical entities due to unpaired electron(s) that are highly
reactive, therefore damaging reaction towards biomolecules
Produced by normal metabolic processes (i.e. cellular respiration)
Also introduced into or produced by the body by exposure to environmental factors (UV,
pollution) or smoking, injury and taking some medications
Oxidative stress refers to the state of the body in which its antioxidant defence against oxidants
(free radicals, reactive oxygens etc) is overwhelmed (diseases) or inadequate (poor diet)
Antioxidants scavenge free radicals thus protects against oxidative stress
oCognitive performance (i.e. dementia)
oaging
osome cancers
oCVD
oinflammatory aliments (arthritis)
^may be protected with antioxidants as these diseases are linked to the
body oxidative stress
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Antioxidants are reducing agents: includes vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, role in preventing oxidation of biomolecules in the body and thus may assist in the prevention of chronic disease. Free radicals = highly unstable chemical entities due to unpaired electron(s) that are highly reactive, therefore damaging reaction towards biomolecules. Produced by normal metabolic processes (i. e. cellular respiration) Also introduced into or produced by the body by exposure to environmental factors (uv, pollution) or smoking, injury and taking some medications. Oxidative stress refers to the state of the body in which its antioxidant defence against oxidants (free radicals, reactive oxygens etc) is overwhelmed (diseases) or inadequate (poor diet) Antioxidants scavenge free radicals thus protects against oxidative stress: cognitive performance (i. e. dementia, aging, some cancers, cvd, inflammatory aliments (arthritis) ^may be protected with antioxidants as these diseases are linked to the body oxidative stress. Inhibiting oxidative enzyme activity: i. e. those involved in inflammatory processes, cytochrome oxidases in mitochondria repairing oxidative damage.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers