MGMT10002 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Ambidexterity, Internal Resistance

39 views2 pages
PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT WEEK 5
Supporting Exploration
1. Innovation culture
2. Internal structures for exploration
a. Cross-functional teams (horizontal linkage model)
b. Structurally independent innovation
Three pillars of creative culture/ innovative culture
1. Risk-taking
2. Collaboration
3. Playfulness
Structural ambidexterity approach
Project teams are structurally independent units, with its own processes, structures, and cultures, but are integrates into
the existing management hierarchy.
General Manager
Existing business Emerging business
Exploitation MGF Sales R&D MFG Sales R&D Exploration
Implementing Change
I. Force-field analysis
II. Resistance to change
III. Unfreeze/Change/Refreeze model of change & Kotter’s 8 steps.
Kotter’s 8 steps
Creating a climate for change
1. Increase urgency
2. Build guiding team s
3. Get vision rights
Engaging & enabling the organisation
4. Communication for buy-ins
5. Enable action
6. Create short-term wins
7. Don’t ley-up
8. Make it stick
Force-field analysis
What are the forces towards change for innovation/exploration. What are the forces resisting these changes?
Resistance to change
Internal resistance to change is driven by existing employees and is culturally loaded
i. Self-interest: fear of potential loss (e.g. comfort, enjoyment, power/prestige)
ii. Lack of understanding and trust: suspicion of hidden agendas, unclear or unsubstantiated motivation of
change
iii. Uncertainty: fear of the unknown (e.g. not sure if I can do this)
iv. Different assessments and goals: e.g. disagreement over the proposed benefits of the change
v. Culture: that’s not how we do things around here, that goes against our core values.
Tactics to overcome resistance
A sense of urgency must be generated before the unfreezing process can take place.
1. Communication and education- technical change, people are already on board, just need accurate information
and analysis to understand change.
2. Participation- users need to feel involved, design requires information from others, users have power to resist.
3. Negotiation- group has power over implementation, group will lose out in change,
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Internal structures for exploration: cross-functional teams (horizontal linkage model, structurally independent innovation. Three pillars of creative culture/ innovative culture: risk-taking, collaboration, playfulness. Project teams are structurally independent units, with its own processes, structures, and cultures, but are integrates into the existing management hierarchy. Unfreeze/change/refreeze model of change & kotter"s 8 steps. Increase urgency: build guiding team s, get vision rights. Engaging & enabling the organisation: communication for buy-ins, enable action, create short-term wins, don"t ley-up, make it stick. What are the forces towards change for innovation/exploration. Internal resistance to change is driven by existing employees and is culturally loaded i. ii. iii. iv. v. Self-interest: fear of potential loss (e. g. comfort, enjoyment, power/prestige) Lack of understanding and trust: suspicion of hidden agendas, unclear or unsubstantiated motivation of change. Uncertainty: fear of the unknown (e. g. not sure if i can do this) Different assessments and goals: e. g. disagreement over the proposed benefits of the change.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers