IMM2022 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Endometrium, Pre-Eclampsia, Interleukin 2

33 views4 pages
ATTRACTION, SEX, PREGNANCY
MHC dependent mate preference:
o MHC influences both body odour and BO preference in humans
o Woe’s preferee depeds o horoal status the pill is a distrater
o Women choose/find males with different MHC (body odour) from their own -> babies would
have the greatest variation which is beneficial
(during pregnancy, choose to be around those with similar MHC for support? -> similar MHC
indicates relatives or family members)
The iue sste is atie i the agia ad uterus here there’s eposure to pathoges ia
sexual activity, contamination from rectum.
Symptoms are prevented by: colonization by commensals, intact epithelial barrier and vaginal
immune system
Innate immunity:
o Physical barriers (keratin and mucus layer)
o Vaginal secretions, low pH
o Phagocytic cells
o Neutrophils and NK cells
o Vaginal epithelial cells; TLRs, antimicrobial peptides, pro-inflammatory cytokines, SLPI (kills
bacteria)
Adaptive immunity:
o CD4 and CD8 T cells
o B lymphocytes (most found in endocervix, some in vagina)
o Immunoglobulins: found in vagina, IgG from systemic circulation and IgA from local B cells in
response to antigens
Semen disposition in the vagina results in an influx of:
o Primarily neutrophils
o Some macrophages
o Some T cells
Immune evasion strategies of sperm
o Benefits the maintenance of fecundity but compromises the ability of the female to respond
to pathogens in male ejaculate, allows sexually transmitted pathogens to evade the female
immune system
Express HLA-G
o (also expressed in placental cells and fetus)
o
Lack MHC I
o Evade CD8 cells
o Classic mechanism used by viruses
o
High mannose and complex
N-glycans
o Inhibit innate (NK cells) and adaptive
o Common mechanism in some bacteria, cancer cells and
helminths
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

> similar mhc indicates relatives or family members: the i(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)e s(cid:455)ste(cid:373) is a(cid:272)ti(cid:448)e i(cid:374) the (cid:448)agi(cid:374)a a(cid:374)d uterus (cid:449)here there"s e(cid:454)posure to pathoge(cid:374)s (cid:448)ia sexual activity, contamination from rectum. Symptoms are prevented by: colonization by commensals, intact epithelial barrier and vaginal immune system. Immunoglobulins: found in vagina, igg from systemic circulation and iga from local b cells in response to antigens: semen disposition in the vagina results in an influx of, primarily neutrophils, some macrophages, some t cells. Immune evasion strategies of sperm: benefits the maintenance of fecundity but compromises the ability of the female to respond to pathogens in male ejaculate, allows sexually transmitted pathogens to evade the female immune system. N-glycans (also expressed in placental cells and fetus: evade cd8 cells, classic mechanism used by viruses. Inhibit innate (nk cells) and adaptive: common mechanism in some bacteria, cancer cells and helminths. Tgf-b: blocks cd4 t cells, blocks macrophage activation, potent anti-inflammatory mediator.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers