LLB 130 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Grievous Bodily Harm, Indictable Offence, Syphilis

49 views9 pages
31 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Week 5 Assault
Patterns of victimisation CB 585
Assault is a high volume offence
62,130 recorded incidents of assaults in 2015
30,660 non domestic assaults
29,001 DV assaults
2,469 assault police
about 40% reported as alcohol related
48,370 charges finalised in all NSW courts in 2015
21, 992 for common assault (60% of these for DV)
90% of charges in Local Court, 8% in Childrens Court
The common law originally contained two separate offences: assault and battery
s 61 Common Assault
Whosoever assaults any person, although not occasioning actual bodily harm, shall be liable
to imprisonment for two years
Usually dealt with summarily in Local Court
Elements of assault
Unlawful physical contacts
Act creating apprehension of imminent unlawful physical contact
AR 1: Physical contact
There must be a voluntary act
Need not cause harm or injury
Appliatio of foe ithout the othe pesos oset epess/iplied the
circumstance)
AR 2: Apprehension of Violence
Where D creates in V an apprehension of imminent (immediate) unlawful contact
Ofte ko as pshi assault
Requires a positive act (Fagan)
Meaning of imminence Knight (CB 594); Zanker v Vartzokas (CB 596)
MR for Assault
MR = intention or recklessness MacPherson v Brown
An assault whether by way of application or force or apprehension of immediate violence
must be committed by an act not an omission, and must be without the consent of the
victim
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 9 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Apprehension of immediate infliction of force
Knight (1988) 35 A Crim R 314 (CB 594)
Found guilty of assault on bus driver, his appeal was dismissed
Knight then called the magistrate, judge and police; threatened and made abusive
phone called
He ast foud guilt of assault o these people, eause of the lak of iedia
in their apprehension of unlawful physical contact
The violence must be apprehended in the extreme near future to constitute assault
Zanker v Vartzokas (1988) 34 A Crim R 11 (CB 596)
A young woman accepted a lift from a cab driver
He offered money for sexual favours, she refused and demanded to be let out
He sped up to k/h ad said I goig to take ou to  ates house. He ill
eall fi ou up
Held: the unlawful imprisonment meant that her apprehension of violence remained
iiet eause she ouldt esape o leave; therefore this constituted assault
The victims apprehension
The iti ust e put i fea of iiet ulaful otat… It aot ou uless o util
the iti is aae of the auseds atios Pemble v R (1971) 124 CLR 107)
Conditional threats
Where a person threatens to inflict violence only if certain circumstances occur
e.g. ou oe o ou life – Police v Greaves [1964] NZLR 295
Spitting
Held to be assault in DPP v JWH charged with the assault of two police officers at Mt
Druitt police station. As he entered the charging dock, he turned and spat saliva in the
direction of Constable Harris, some of it falling on his face and some falling on Constable
Gaiges ak
Acts not omissions Fagan v Commissioner of Metropolitan Police [1969] 1 QB 439
Appellant was reversing motor car when Police Constable Morris directed him to
drive the car to the kerbside to park. At first he was too far from the kerb so Morris
asked him to park closer and indicated a precise spot. The appellant drove forward
ad stopped ith a heel o Mois foot. Mois said Get off, ou ae o  foot
the appellat said Fuk ou, ou a ait. Mois asked seeal ties fo hi to
move the car off his foot. The appellant reluctantly slowly reversed off his foot
In doubt as to whether mounting the car was deliberate or accidental, however
satisfied eod easoale dout that the appellat koigl, ad ueessail
allowed the vehicle to remain on his foot after being asked to get the car off his
foot
During the continuing act, it is said that the appellant formed the necessary intention
to constitute the element of mens rea and once that element was added to the
continuing act, an assault took place
Unlock document

It was held that there was no difference in principle between the action of stepping
onto a persons toe and maintaining the position and the action of driving a car onto
a pesos foot ad sittig i the a hilst the positio is aitaied. To ostitute
the offence of an assault some intentional act must have been performed. We would
dismiss the appeal
Thabo Meli:
A group of men beat a man repeatedly with the intention of killing him
The thought he as dead he ast ad the et ad the hi off a liff,
intending to dispose of the body, and he then died as a result of exposure
They argued that when he actually died, there was no intention because they
thought he was dead
Judge held it was a continuing act, rather than separate events
The defendants had an intention to kill the person generally; it doest atte that
they thought he was already dead when they did the final act
Mens rea
Constituted by the intention to effect an unlawful contact, or to create an apprehension of
imminent unlawful contact in the mind of the other person. Recklessness will suffice
Debelle J in Edwards v Police (1998) 71 SASR 493:
2) the mens rea of such an assault is the defendants intention to produce that expectation
[imminent unlawful violence] in the victims mind
3) there is an alternative possibility of a reckless assault, where the defendant, whilst not
desiring to cause such fear, realises that his or her conduct may do so, and persists with it
(at 495)
Recklessness the prosecution must prove foresight of the possibility of inflicting physical
contact or apprehension of imminent unlawful contact
MacPherson v Brown (1975) 12 SASR 184 (CB 599)
Student was convicted of assault of a lecturer during a protest in which the lecturer
was prevented from passing a group of students who caused him to fear for his
personal safety
A agistate held that the defedat ought to hae ko that his odut ould
have given reasonable grounds for apprehending an infliction of physical force
Coincidence between actus reus and mens rea
Actus reus and mens rea must coincide
For a assault iolig a otiuig at, the es ea doest hae to e peset at the
time of commencement of the actus reus but can be superimposed into an existing act
(Fagan)
Harm terminology
Actual bodily harm (ABH)
Grievous bodily harm (GBH)
Wounding
Note: oasioig = ause: Zanker
Unlock document

Document Summary

The common law originally contained two separate offences: assault and battery s 61 common assault. Whosoever assaults any person, although not occasioning actual bodily harm, shall be liable to imprisonment for two years. Elements of assault: unlawful physical contacts, act creating apprehension of imminent unlawful physical contact. Ar 1: physical contact: there must be a voluntary act, need not cause harm or injury, appli(cid:272)atio(cid:374) of fo(cid:396)(cid:272)e (cid:449)ithout the othe(cid:396) pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)(cid:859)s (cid:272)o(cid:374)se(cid:374)t (cid:894)e(cid:454)p(cid:396)ess/i(cid:373)plied(cid:895) (cid:894)the circumstance) Mr = intention or recklessness macpherson v brown. An assault whether by way of application or force or apprehension of immediate violence must be committed by an act not an omission, and must be without the consent of the victim. He (cid:449)ill (cid:396)eall(cid:455) fi(cid:454) (cid:455)ou up(cid:863: held: the unlawful imprisonment meant that her apprehension of violence remained i(cid:373)(cid:373)i(cid:374)e(cid:374)t (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause she (cid:272)ould(cid:374)(cid:859)t es(cid:272)ape o(cid:396) leave; therefore this constituted assault.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers