BIOL1004 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Polymerization, Globular Protein, Tubulin

39 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Microtubules: microtubules are hollow cylinders 25nm in diameter, they are composed of a globular protein called tubulin, tu(cid:271)uli(cid:374) e(cid:454)ists i(cid:374) t(cid:449)o for(cid:373)s, -tu(cid:271)uli(cid:374) a(cid:374)d -tubulin, i(cid:374) solutio(cid:374), o(cid:374)e su(cid:271)u(cid:374)it of -tu(cid:271)uli(cid:374) asso(cid:272)iates (cid:449)ith o(cid:374)e su(cid:271)u(cid:374)it of - tubulin to form a heterodimer. Tubulin protofilaments form the microtubule: tubulin dimers bind end-to-end to form protofilaments, thirteen protofilaments associate to form the wall of the microtubule. Microtubule dynamics: microtubules are highly dynamic structures, they grow (polymerise) through addition of tubulin dimers or shorten (depolymerise) through loss of tubulin dimers. Microtubule organisation: microtubule assembly, disassembly and organisation are regulated by specific proteins called microtubule associated proteins (maps), microtubule polymerisation usually occurs at specific microtubule nucleating sites. They do(cid:374)"t just ra(cid:374)do(cid:373)l(cid:455) group i(cid:374) a (cid:272)ell! Microtubule nucleation at the centrosome: most animal cells have a single microtubule nucleating site called the centrosome located near the nucleus, one end of the microtubule is embedded in the centrosome and the microtubule grows out into the cytoplasm.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers