52 views1 pages
1 Jun 2018
Department
Course
Professor
HNN120
CLINICAL DECISION MAKING
DOCUMENTATION
Professional documentation of a patient’s status is both a legal and professional responsibility. It ensures
continuity and timeliness of safe care by providing a mode of communication that is permanent.
- Narrative documentation: recording what is happening as it happens, with the observations,
iteretios ad the patiets respose to iteries oted. This teds to e repetitious.
- Problem-focused documentation: addresses the proles idetified durig the patiets stay i a
chroologial order. A list of the patiets proles i geerated ad uered. Plas are
established to deal with all the problems and as they are resolved they are highlighted as
completed.
- Documentation by exception: this mode of documentation focuses on exceptions to the normal or
deviations from the usual standards. This reduces the amount of time spent documenting.
When to document:
- Upon admission/baseline notation of assessment
- Ineffective treatment/effective treatment
- Any changes (positive or egatie) i the patiets oditio.
Legal requirements:
- Legible and correct spelling/grammar
- Blue/black ink
- Dated using dd/mm/yy system and times using 24 hour clock
- Error free or errors acknowledged using a single line through the error and initials written above
ith error
- Free of blank areas (draw a line through sections not needed)
- Signed and named
- Do not interpret
ROLE OF THE NURSE IN DECISION MAKING
We gather all data, and we classify that clinical information by bringing it together and coming up with an
opinion about it. A diagnosis, decision about what treatments to give, wound to dress etc.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Professional documentation of a patient s status is both a legal and professional responsibility. It ensures continuity and timeliness of safe care by providing a mode of communication that is permanent. Narrative documentation: recording what is happening as it happens, with the observations, i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374)s a(cid:374)d the patie(cid:374)t(cid:859)s respo(cid:374)se to i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)ie(cid:449)s (cid:374)oted. Problem-focused documentation: addresses the pro(cid:271)le(cid:373)s ide(cid:374)tified duri(cid:374)g the patie(cid:374)t(cid:859)s stay i(cid:374) a chro(cid:374)ologi(cid:272)al order. A list of the patie(cid:374)t(cid:859)s pro(cid:271)le(cid:373)s i(cid:374) ge(cid:374)erated a(cid:374)d (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)ered. Pla(cid:374)s are established to deal with all the problems and as they are resolved they are highlighted as completed. Documentation by exception: this mode of documentation focuses on exceptions to the normal or deviations from the usual standards. This reduces the amount of time spent documenting. Any changes (positive or (cid:374)egati(cid:448)e) i(cid:374) the patie(cid:374)t(cid:859)s (cid:272)o(cid:374)ditio(cid:374). Dated using dd/mm/yy system and times using 24 hour clock. Error free or errors acknowledged using a single line through the error and initials written above (cid:449)ith (cid:858)error(cid:859)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers