PSY4111 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Dwarfism, Postpartum Depression, John Bowlby

53 views3 pages

Document Summary

The relationship that infants form with primary caregivers can differ immensely child to child, from wanting to be close and seeking security, to exhibiting stress when a caregiver leaves. John bowlby attachment in humans is analogous to imprinting in animals, an adaptive bond. Attachment figures become a safe base from which children can explore the world. Disruptions to attachment may have long term impact on emotional and cognitive development. I(cid:374)fa(cid:374)ts re(cid:272)og(cid:374)ise a (cid:373)other"s fa(cid:272)e (cid:449)ithi(cid:374) the first fe(cid:449) da(cid:455)s. eparatio(cid:374) a(cid:374)(cid:454)iet(cid:455) is first see(cid:374) i(cid:374) i(cid:374)fa(cid:374)ts of. 67 months of age, peaks in the second year. Secure attachment welcomes return, seeks closeness, comforted by mother. Avoidant attachment ignores mother on return. Ambivalent attachment angry/rejecting but desires closeness, difficult to sooth. Disorganised attachment behaviour contradictory, approaches mother but looks away. Social/emotional deprivation orphans raised in institutions and infants of depressed mothers are studied to analyse this.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers