ECON1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Foreign Portfolio Investment, Diminishing Returns, Production Function

29 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Lecture 5
PRODUCTION AND GROWTH
- A outrys stadard of liig depeds o its aility to produe goods ad series.
- Within a country there are large changes in production/standard of living over time.
- The same is true across countries
- When talking about economic growth we mean growth of real GDP... (Why not nominal GDP?)
ECONOMIC GROWTH AND COMPOUNDING
- Annual growth rates that seem small become large when compounded for many years.
- Compounding refers to the accumulation of a growth rate over a period of time.
THE PRODUCTION FUNCTION
- Economists often use a production function to describe the relationship between the quantity of
inputs used in production and the quantity of output from production.
- The inputs used to produce goods and services are called the factors of production
Y = F(L, K, H, N, A)
Y = quantity of output
F( ) is a function that shows how the inputs are combined - available production technology
L = quantity of labour
K = quantity of physical capital
H = quantity of (intangible) human capital
N = quantity of natural resources
A = (intangible) technological knowledge
***LOOK IN TEXTBOOK TO INTERPRET THE VARIABLES***
- We are ore iterested i the alues per orker per apita.
- We want to divide everything by L.
- L can have different effects on the production function we distinguish between constant, increasing,
and decreasing returns to scale
- A production function has constant returns to scale if, for any positive number x,
- xY = F(xL, xK, xN, H, A)
- That is, a doubling of all inputs causes the amount of output to double as well
PRODUCTIVITY
The quantity of goods and services produced from each hours of a workers time
- depends on endowments
- output is the measure of living standards
- improved living standards require improved productivity
- The factors of production directly determine productivity.
- natural resources, N
- physical capital, K
- human capital, H
- technological knowledge, A
- Which of these have a permanent (long-run) effect and which only have a temporary (short run)
effect?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

A (cid:272)ou(cid:374)try(cid:859)s sta(cid:374)dard of li(cid:448)i(cid:374)g depe(cid:374)ds o(cid:374) its a(cid:271)ility to produ(cid:272)e goods a(cid:374)d ser(cid:448)i(cid:272)es. Within a country there are large changes in production/standard of living over time. When talking about economic growth we mean growth of real gdp (why not nominal gdp?) Annual growth rates that seem small become large when compounded for many years. Compounding refers to the accumulation of a growth rate over a period of time. Economists often use a production function to describe the relationship between the quantity of inputs used in production and the quantity of output from production. The inputs used to produce goods and services are called the factors of production. F( ) is a function that shows how the inputs are combined - available production technology. We are (cid:373)ore i(cid:374)terested i(cid:374) the (cid:448)alues (cid:858)per (cid:449)orker(cid:859) (cid:894)per (cid:272)apita(cid:895). We want to divide everything by l.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers