Winter 2018

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2113
Professor
Birdie Bezanson
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
PSYC 2113 Lecture Notes March 5th
- Dissociative identity disorder used to be called multiple personality disorder
- People with this are very suggestible so some alters were being suggested by therapists.
There is a lot of controversy.
- A lot of people were being accused of child abuse due to repressed memories which
were shown to be false
- People ith dissoiatie idetity disorder do’t hae ultiple persoalities rather they
lack a central personality. DID is a fragmentation of personality
- Alters (different identities) will have some sort of similarity to host personality
- The switch from alter to host and vice versa can cause memory gaps.
- The host is’t eessarily the origial persoality, it’s the persoality seekig treatet
- Often people will have a ipulse alter, a proisuous alter (other alters do’t egage
in sexual behaviour)
- Alters can differ in age
- Socio-cognitive model: environment creates suggestions that come to be
- There can be some physiological differences in alters (such as eyesight)
- Different alters can have different dominant hands
- Unlike malingerers, people with DID will hide their symptoms
- One theory is that DID occurs due to avoidance of trauma
- A risk factor is low social support during trauma
- More apt to be diagnosed with when they have low support
- People with DID tend to have very rich imaginary worlds (not uncommon for them to
have had an imaginary friend when they were young)
- Average number of alters is 15
- More females have DID than men
- Onset is almost always in childhood
- Onset after 9 is very rare
- Tends to run a chronic course, difficult to treat
- High comorbidity with other disorders
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PSYC 2113 Lecture Notes March 5 th - Dissociative identity disorder used to be called multiple personality disorder - People with this are very suggestible so some alters were being suggested by therapists. There is a lot of controversy. - A lot of people were being accused of child abuse due to repressed memories which were shown to be false - People with dissociative identity disorder dont have multiple personalities rather they lack a central personality. DID is a fragmentation of personality - Alters (different identities) will have some sort of similarity to host personality - The switch from alter to host and vice versa can cause memory gaps. - The host isnt necessarily the original personality, its the personality seeking treatment - Often people will have an impulse alter, a promiscuous alter (other alters dont engage in sexual behaviour) - Alters can differ in age - Socio-cognitive model: environment creates suggestions that come to be - There can be some physiological differences in alters (such as eyesight) - Different alters can have different dominant hands - Unlike malingerers, people with DID will hide their symptoms - One theory is that DID occurs due to avoidance of trauma - A risk factor is low social support during trauma - More apt to be diagnosed with when they have low support - People with DID tend to have very rich imaginary worlds (not uncommon for them to have had an imaginary friend when they were young) - Average number of alters is 15 - More females have DID than men - Onset is almost always in childhood - Onset after 9 is very rare - Tends to run a chronic course, difficult to treat - High comorbidity with other disorders - People who have DID often have histories of horrific abuse - Without treatment DID tends to stay stable but rate of switching decreases with age - Closely related to PTSD but even more tied to sexual/physical abuse - Treatment: tends to be long-term psychotherapy. There dont seem to be any medications for this - The focus of psychotherapy is on re-integrating all the identities. The success rate is only 25 percent - It is all about helping people understand that splitting isnt necessary anymore, help them get to know all their different alters - The re-integration will probably be attempted with an alter that can handle it - Another focus is on identifying and neutralizing cues/triggers that provoke memories of trauma and dissociation - The client has to be able to work through the original trauma - Depersonalization/derealisation: disruption in perception (detached) - Dissociative amnesia: disruption in memory (no brain injury) - DID: disruption in a cohesive identity - Malingere
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit