Biology
Course
BIOL 1003
Professor
Elizabeth Nisbet
Semester
Fall

Description
Stages of Meiosis Interphase DNA replicates → Identical sister chromatids form Meiosis I Meiosis II (same as mitosis) Prophase //Spindle forms //Spindle forms Nuclear envelope disappears //Nuclear envelope disappears - Chromosomes shorten/thicken/condense - Form bivalents/tetrads - Crossing-over of homologous pairs Metaphase//Spindle complete //Spindle complete - Bivalents at equator - Chromosomes at equator - Join to spindle (fibres) via centromere Anaphase //Cytokinesis begin //Cytokinesis begins Random segregation of homologues Random segregation of chromatids - Intact centromeres - Chromatids are pulled to opposite poles - Two chromatids on one chromosome - Centromeres divide Telophase //Spindle disappears //Spindle disappears //Nuclear envelope reforms //Nuclear envelope reforms - 2 haploid cells - 4 haploid daughter cells - Chromosomes still duplicated Principles of Mendelian Inheritance  Mendel's 1st Law of Segregation (Anaphase I and II) o During gamete formation, allele pairs (Gg) of one gene separate (G)(g) o Thus, only one of the alleles of one gene is present in a single gamete o Monohybrid inheritance (single gene - 3:1 ratio) o Recessive alleles can cause genetic disorders (e.g. cystic fibrosis)  Mendel's 2nd Law of Independent Assortment (Anaphase I and II) o Alleles for one gene segregate independently with the alleles of another gene (GgBb) o Two genes for each characteristic segregate during gamete production (GB)(gb)(Gb)(gB) o Independent assortment means either G / g can go with either of B / b o Meiosis separates alleles / h
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1003

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit