Course
Name: Abdikarim Buraleh
Student Number: 101071321
Email: Abdiburaleh@cmail.carleton.ca
Date of Completion: 05/29/2020
Assignment: Homework Assignment #4
Professor: Joanne Farrall
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Abdikarim Buraleh 101071321 Coms 1002 S
Homework 1:
Provide a brief summary of Saunders' position. What is her main argument? Do you agree
or disagree with her? Explain why.
Ellen Saunders’ position is that she believes that social media can not drive political
change. Her main argument is that social media in terms of creating political change is an
illusion as there lies much hope of creating political change but due to the fact that social media
posts do not equate to active political change, there is no way that political change can occur on
or through social media as a whole. She is definitely coming from the slacktivist perspective on
this topic. I do agree that it may not seem live immediate political change occurs on social media
but that is not the point of social media. Social media allows us to give insights on political
topics to create positive awareness for certain situations that lead to small step by step political
change. A prime example of this would be the #blmmovement which has caused not only
political and social awareness but new rise to political changes that are currently occurring.
Social media is a tool that helps us give rise to slow political change but just because change is
slow and a process does not mean that it is not active and thus no change is being created.
Homework 2:
Provide a brief summary of McCurdy's position. What is her main argument? Do you
agree or disagree with him? Explain why.
Patrick McCurdy’s position is that he believes that social media has the power to create
political and social change. This is through the collective insights that social media gives us
alongside the direct influence social media has in influencing one's own political views and thus
their willingness to help create or join political changes within their own communities to create
positive change for the betterment of us all overall. Patrick McCurdy is definitely an activist in
terms of understanding the power of marketing, branding and influencing that social media and
technology overall has on our society and I personally agree with his views. I agree with his
views because I also believe in the power of influence that social media has, so many different
platforms which can allow for great outreach and networking capabilities that can lead to small
steps in terms of political change as a whole. Small steps and the process that social media has
on creating political change allows for me to have a strong agreement with his views.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
1 Booster Class
Class+