Drawbacks to Predators
• Prey can fight back (Deer kick out)
• Predator can get injured in chase to catch prey
• Prey can contain toxins through bioaccumulation(buildup of toxins through food
chain) Great Black-backed Gull
• Botulism is caused by bacteria, zebra mussels get toxins though filtering the water.
Fish feed on the zebra mussels and get those toxins.
• DDT bioaccumulation caused falcons to lay eggs with thin shells and behavioral
changes (no young produced).
• Bird species have reduced over the last few years by close to 80 % (neo-nectonoids)
• Most important problem that predators face is “starvation”
• Predators are a major force in Natural Selection and Evolution
• Parasitoids: eat their prey from inside (host is killed). Some find hosts using “visual
searching” and eggs are laid via the “ovipositor”.
• Braconid Was