January 10 , 2014
CLCV 1002 B
Jacob Forrest: [email protected]
Monday 2:30 – 3:30 RB 3102
Wednesday 2:30 – 3:30 RB 3101
Friday 3:30 – 4:30 SA 411
Greeks were the first to base their actions on the left hemisphere – unlike controlled by the
“Gods” (voices in their heads)
Hellenol = Greeks word for Greeks
2000 BC – few or no Greek speakers but populated with Pelasgians (no one knew who they
were). Some people speaking ancient Greek entered Greece (IndoEuropean language), who
were called the Mycenaean’s (found near the coast of the Black Sea). All except two, were
abandoned in a short period of time.
• Group themselves based on languages:
o Aeolic: northern
o Ionic: central – Athens
• Italy and Sicily were referred to as Great Greece and were much wealthier, and spread
into the Black Sea and Mycenaean.
Greece is where the Greeks live.
• Characteristics: religion, language
• The Greeks regarded themselves as superior to the rest of the world; all nonGreeks were
seen as Barbarians (those who speak in languages they do not understand) and seen them
• Regarded slavery as natural law (state or categories of a person) or the law of nations
(convention – no one is more naturally a slave than anyone else). But the Greeks viewed
slavery as natural and Romans viewed slavery as the law of nations.
• Greeks had a different view of the world; they were r