Premium

2 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 2550
Professor
Joshua Shepard

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
January 22, 2018
Moral vs conventional norms
Moral; hold independent of any authority, universally applicable, justified to
appeal to harm done to others, their rights, violations are very serious.
Conventional; authority dependent, locally applicable, justified by appeal to
convention, violations not as serious.
Kids seem to latch on easy to the difference between moral and
conventional.
Psychopaths view all norms as conventional.
Multi- system moral psychology;
Moral judgeet is the produt of iteratio ad opetitio etwee
distinct psychological systes.
What is a psychological system? a part of the mind that performs a
specialized function(s), perhaps in a specialized way(s).
How do you individuate psychological systems? visual system (forms a
specialized function) auditory system (provides 3D representation with
sound waves)
Is moral judgement driven by intuition/ reasoning, or by affect/emotion?
Judgements of bodily harm are often at issue.
Be careful not to slide from evidence of different psychological processes to
the posit of different psychological systems.
Trolley case etc.; why do people say SWITCH or PUSH?
Joshua Greee’s odel; persoal har triggers a eotioal alar ell;
do’t do it!
Why might moral judgement work in this way?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
January 22, 2018 Moral vs conventional norms Moral; hold independent of any authority, universally applicable, justified to appeal to harm done to others, their rights, violations are very serious. Conventional; authority dependent, locally applicable, justified by appeal to convention, violations not as serious. Kids seem to latch on easy to the difference between moral and conventional. Psychopaths view all norms as conventional. Multi- system moral psychology; Moral judgement is the product of interaction and competition between distinct psychological systems. What is a psychological system? a part of the mind that performs a specialized function(s), perhaps in a specialized way(s). How do you individuate psychological systems? visual system (forms a specialized function) auditory system (provides 3D representation with sound waves) Is moral judgement driven by intuition/ reasoning, or by affect/emotion? Judgements of bodily harm are often at issue. Be careful not to slide from evidence of different psychological processes to the posit of different psychological systems. Trolley case etc.; why do people say SWITCH or PUSH? Joshua Greenes model; personal harm triggers an emotional alarm bell; dont do it! Why might moral judgement work in this way? DDE (doctrine of double effect); one should not employ morally bad means. People might be judging that pushing the man involves physical contact, which is aversive. How would you test between these kinds of explanations? People do not generally describe their reasons for judging in terms of sophisticated psychological principles. Moral dumbfounding- a person Q makes a moral judgement Q confidently regards as correct, but Q can provide no general moral principle that accounts for it. Jonathan Haidt; difficult- to- justify moral judgements are outputs of
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit