PSYC 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Cp System Ii, Jet Lag, Circadian Rhythm

36 views19 pages

Document Summary

Consciousness: what is consciousness", awareness of i. ii. iii. iv. Awareness of your thoughts about events: continuously changes due to time of day, sleep, meditation, hypnosis, attention, drugs i. Freud (1900): behaviour driven by unconscious & conscious thoughts, emotions: sigmund freud was also interested in consciousness, particularly in what was going on just below the surface of the stream. He was one of the first theorists to recognize that consciousness is not an all or none phenomenon rather there are levels of awareness. Skinner (1950): consciousness cannot be observed therefore ignore. 1960"s: widespread awareness of consciousness-altering drugs, behaviour iii. iv: physiological index of conciousness. Electroencephalograph (eeg) i: amplitude (height, frequency (cycles per second, wave patterns, beta: awake, alert activity; 13-24 cps, alpha: awake, very relaxed; 8-12 cps, theta: light sleep; 4-7 cps, delta wave: deep sleep; <4 cps ii. Think different: the merits of unconscious thought in preference development and decision making.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers