PSYC 2100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Self-Awareness, Self-Perception Theory, Social Comparison Theory

16 views6 pages

Document Summary

Abc"s, research designs, measurement & experiment quality. Complicated concept; when thinking of who you are, endless ways of describing yourself. Self literature = complex; researches have spent decades attempting to understand the self. Stream of consciousness: me self = objective self or descriptive self; collection of statements contributing to your description of yourself (i. e. , i am tall , i am funny and smart , etc. ) Consist of our loved ones & one"s possessions. Children, as early as 18 months, begin to recognize self. One"s sense of who they are as a person. One"s construction of self consisting of many components: physical appearance, roles, attitudes, beliefs, attributes, etc. How 1 defines self can be diff based on culture. Individualist self (independent: emphasis on individual, including rights, independence, & differences from other individuals, strive for uniqueness ( stand out ) the squeaky wheel gets the grease . Collectivist self (interdependent: emphasis on group & interrelatedness w/ others, including relationships, roles, duties.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers