PSYC 2301 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Allostatic Load, Stress Management, Walter Bradford Cannon

8 views3 pages

Document Summary

If our primary appraisal is no (no harm will come ) then no stress or harm will come from it and not emotional episode. If yes, the sympathetic system activates: then the secondary appraisal, can i cope successfully with the potential benefit or threat i face, do i have the resources to cope. If yes, sympathetic activity with decrease the the emotional respone will end positive sress meaning that you have to resources to cope. Can be categorized into phobias (intense, irrational fears) or anxieties (vague feeling of uneasiness) Is stress always bad: can be good when you are playing a sport, when starting anew job (prepares you for the demands of the job), in dangerous situations, can also be good for performance. Longitudinal design (4 time points), 2 conditions (control vs. re-appraisal: what we try to do is teach people to reframe their conceptualization of stress. For a student taking a high-pressure test, the situation is objectively demanding.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers