4 Pages
Winter 2012

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2400
Professor
Kevin Nunes

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Forensic Psychology
Lecture: Mental Illness
February 28,2012
Zapf, P. A., Roesch, R., & Viljoen, J. L. (2001). Assessing fitness to stand trial: The utility of the Fitness Interview Test
(revised edition). The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 46, 426-432.
Mental Illness
Purpose
Examine the accuracy of the Fitness Interview Test, revised edition (FIT-R) as a screening
instrument for assessing as a screening instrument for assessing fitness to stand trial.
Study 1 Participants
100 men remanded to Forensic Psychiatric Institute (FPI) in BC between 1994 and 1995
Most were single (54.5%), white (64%), and unemployed (67%) at time of admission
Mean age = 34.4 years (SD = 11.07)
Paid $5
Study 1 Measures
Fitness Interview Test – Revised (FITR)
Structured Clinical Interview for DSMIII-R-Patient Edition (SCID-P)
FIT-R (Roesch et al., 1998)
Screening measure
Semi-structured interview assesses 6 psychological abilities in CCC fitness standard
Three sections evaluate individual’s
1. Understanding of the nature and object of proceedings
2. Understanding of possible consequences of proceedings
3. Ability to communicate with counsel
If accused has a mental disorder and it results in impairment on any one of the 33 legal
components then may be unfit legal components, then may be unfit to stand trial
Study 1 Procedure
FIT-R and SCID-P administered by trained clinical psychology doctoral students
– Unfit = met criteria for mental disorder (SCID-P) and impaired on 1 or more of 3 psycholegal
abilities (FIT-R)
Coded official determination of fitness in the institution-based evaluation at FPI
Study 2 Participants
100 men remanded to FPI between 1997 and 1998 identified as suffering from psychotic
symptoms at admission
Most were single (69.1%), white (72%), and unemployed (78.3%) at time of admission
Mean age = 34.49 years (SD = 10.23)
Paid $5
Study 1 Measures
• FIT-R
• Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale (BPRS)

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Forensic PsychologyLecture Mental IllnessFebruary 282012Zapf P A Roesch RViljoen J L 2001 Assessing fitness to stand trial The utility of the Fitness Interview Test revised edition The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 46 426432 Mental IllnessPurposeExamine the accuracy of the Fitness Interview Test revised edition FITR as a screening instrument for assessing as a screening instrument for assessing fitness to stand trialStudy 1 Participants100 men remanded to Forensic Psychiatric Institute FPI in BC between 1994 and 1995 Most were single 545 white 64 and unemployed 67 at time of admissionMean age344 years SD1107Paid 5Study 1 MeasuresFitness Interview TestRevisedFITRStructured Clinical Interview for DSMIIIRPatient Edition SCIDPFITR Roesch et al 1998Screening measureSemistructured interview assesses 6 psychological abilities in CCC fitness standardThree sections evaluate individuals1 Understanding of the nature and object of proceedings2 Understanding of possible consequences of proceedings3 Ability to communicate with counsel If accused has a mental disorder and it results in impairment on any one of the 33 legal components then may be unfit legal components then may be unfit to stand trialStudy 1 ProcedureFITR and SCIDP administered by trained clinical psychology doctoral students Unfitmet criteria for mental disorderSCIDP and impaired on 1 or more of 3 psycholegal abilities FITRCoded official determination of fitness in the institutionbased evaluation at FPIStudy 2 Participants100 men remanded to FPI between 1997 and 1998 identified as suffering from psychotic symptoms at admissionMost were single 691 white 72 and unemployed 783 at time of admissionMean age3449 years SD1023Paid 5Study 1 Measures FITR Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale BPRS
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit