PSYC 2700 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Edward B. Titchener, Operant Conditioning Chamber, Classical Conditioning

62 views10 pages

Document Summary

The collection of mental processes and activities used in perceiving, remembering, thinking, and understanding, and the act of using those processes (ashcraft & klein) Environment (i. e. : stimuli) -> mental representations and processes (perception, Ppl may have intuitions about their own mental processes, but these are unreliable: over-estimate their own ability, memory factors, post hoc rationalizations. Participants talk on phone while driving in simulator, measured errors. Control: self-assessment of driving negatively correlated w/ errors. Some of these pairs semantically related to target word: ocean moon -> tide, later, asked name a detergent . Participants more likely to respond tide if they had seen ocean moon pair. When asked why they chose tide, they didn"t mention word pair; instead, my mother uses tide , i like the box . We cannot rely on intuition to understand cognition. Method for gaining knowledge about world, not topic being studied: develop theories/models of world, test against what"s actually observed.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers