Winter 2018

Department
Statistics
Course Code
STAT 2507
Professor
Masoud Nasari
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
STATS 2507
Chapter 8
Large Sample Estimation
In the previous chapters we have learned everything we need to understand statistical inference
and how it can be applied in practical situations. In this chapter we will learn more about
estimation and how to infer about population parameters using point estimators. Statistical
inference Statistical inference is the process employed to make decisions or predictions about
parameters. Examples of population parameters: Population mean, µ Population standard
deviation, σ Population proportion, p
Examples of applications of inference:
The prediction of short- and long-term interest rates
The forecasting of the behaviour of the stock market
A consumer wants to estimate the selling price of her house before putting it on the market
Deciding on the effectiveness of a new drug
Statistical Inference Definitions:
Estimation: is the process of estimating or predicting the value of a parameter of interest.
Hypothesis Testing: is the process of making decision about the value of a parameter based on
some preconceived idea about what its value might be.
Types of Estimators
Definition: an estimator is a rule, usually expressed as a formula, that tells us how to calculate an
estimate based on the information in the sample.
Estimators are used in two ways.
Point estimation: Based on sample data, a single number is calculated to estimate a population
parameter. The rule or formula that describes this calculation is called the point estimator, and
the resulting number is called a point estimate
Interval estimation: Based on sample data, two numbers are calculated to form an interval
within which the parameter is expected to lie. The rule or formula used in the calculation is
called an interval estimator, and the pair of numbers obtained is called an interval estimate or
confidence interval.
Point Estimation
In practice, there can be more than one point estimator that can be used to estimate a
population parameter of interest. The choice of which point estimator would depend on the
behaviour of the point estimator and its sampling distribution.
The first characteristic that is desired to have in a point estimator is that its sampling
distribution centres around the true value of the parameter. An estimator that has this
characteristic is called unbiased.
Point Estimation-Unbiased Estimators An estimator is said to be unbiased if its expected value
is equal to the population parameter it estimates. That is, the long-run average value of the
estimator is equal to the population parameter. NOTE: Every estimator we have seen so far is
unbiased:
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
STATS 2507 Chapter 8 Large Sample Estimation In the previous chapters we have learned everything we need to understand statistical inference and how it can be applied in practical situations. In this chapter we will learn more about estimation and how to infer about population parameters using point estimators. Statistical inference Statistical inference is the process employed to make decisions or predictions about parameters. Examples of population parameters: Population mean, Population standard deviation, Population proportion, p Examples of applications of inference: The prediction of short and longterm interest rates The forecasting of the behaviour of the stock market A consumer wants to estimate the selling price of her house before putting it on the market Deciding on the effectiveness of a new drug Statistical Inference Definitions: Estimation: is the process of estimating or predicting the value of a parameter of interest. Hypothesis Testing: is the process of making decision about the value of a parameter based on some preconceived idea about what its value might be. Types of Estimators Definition: an estimator is a rule, usually expressed as a formula, that tells us how to calculate an estimate based on the information in the sample. Estimators are used in two ways. Point estimation: Based on sample data, a single number is calculated to estimate a population parameter. The rule or formula that describes this calculation is called the point estimator, and the resulting number is called a point estimate Interval estimation: Based on sample data, two numbers are calculated to form an interval within which the parameter is expected to lie. The rule or formula used in the calculation is called an interval estimator, and the pair of numbers obtained is called an interval estimate or confidence interval. Point Estimation In practice, there can be more than one point estimator that can be used to estimate a population parameter of interest. The choice of which point estimator would depend on the behaviour of the point estimator and its sampling distribution. The first characteristic that is desired to have in a point estimator is that its sampling distribution centres around the true value of the parameter. An estimator that has this characteristic is called unbiased. Point EstimationUnbiased Estimators An estimator is said to be unbiased if its expected value is equal to the population parameter it estimates. That is, the longrun average value of the estimator is equal to the population parameter. NOTE: Every estimator we have seen so far is unbiased:
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit