Nursing (61)
NRS 103 (8)

Knowing Self.pdf

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Humber College
NRS 103
Lisa Giallonardo

Knowing Self An acquired set of thoughts, feelings, attitudes, and beliefs that individuals have about the nature and organization of their personality (A&B) The composite of ideas, feelings, and attitudes that a person has about his or her own identity, worth, capabilities and limitations. (Mosby) Response to the question, "Who am I?" (A&B) Components of Self-Concept: Physical (body image) appearance Cognitive/Perceptual (personal identity) how I see myself (values) Emotional (self esteem) Spiritual (connectivity with a higher purpose or God) Features and Functions: An active source of information about the self- explains our behaviours Becomes more unique as we age who did I think I would be now, ten years ago? Often consists of multiple images of self e.g.: athlete, student, daughter, etc Helps people make sense of their past as it relates to their present and future Possible selves: thoughts of future expectations may be positive or negative self-talk: positive and negative positive: high self esteem negative: low self esteem Characteristics: A healthy self-concept reflects attitudes, emotions and values that are realistically consistent with meaningful purposes in life and satisfying to the individual (Konig, A&B) each self-concept is unique satisfaction with body image realistic understanding of who you are and who you want to be-- balance emotionally stable (function in extreme low and high emotions) Self Esteem sense of self-worth/self-judgement-- how one feels about oneself Positive Self Esteem value themselves active self-agents (set and try to achieve personal goals) comfortable r
More Less

Related notes for NRS 103

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.