GEOG 1120 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Mafic, Slab Pull, PlatPremium
3 pages105 viewsFall 2016
Course CodeGEOG 1120
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Lecture 2: Plate Tectonics
I. Structure of Earth:
- Elements: Oxygen, Silicon, Aluminum, Iron.
- Crust => Two types:
1. Oceanic Crust (OC)
=> Elements: Fe, Mg => "Mafic".
=> Heavier; Higher Density.
2. Continental Crust (CC)
=> Elements: Si, O.
=> Lighter elements; Lower Density.
- Mantle => Elements: 0, Mg, Si, Fe; located between the Core
and the Crust.
- Core => Elements: Fe, Ni.
- Crust = Lithosphere (crust and upper mantle).
=> Solid layer.
- Asthenosphere = (2nd layer) upper mantle; Plastic (halfway
between solid and liquid layer).
- Mesosphere = mantle, solid layer.
- Core = has two layers
=> Inner Core and Outer Core.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.