Religious Studies
Course
RELG 1641
Professor
Fiona Black
Semester
Winter

Description
Hijab and Veiling and Colonialism  veiling has always been a part of Islam, but it was not an identified for Muslim women until British colonialism  Muslim communities, as a way of asserting their independence, decreed the veil as universal and ubiquitous  recall: orientalism = Western romanticization of the East; the East becomes presented and defined through Western eyes o liberate the veiled woman vs. fetishization of the veiled woman o colonialist perspectives: Persian women as representative of orientalism o nuns with habits were domesticated and normalized, colonialists had an understanding of their discourse and context o women's bodies were tools for colonization, patriarchy, paternalism  veiling was originally connected with elite women, external forces (photography) cemented the universality of veiling (as a protection from the gaze of Western explorers); and a reclamation of cultural identity  in contemporary times, Muslimahs wear veils to respond to Western "feminisms"- "Yes, we agree with the basic premise of choice, but our own choice is to wear it despite what you think"  film: Under One Sky- Arab women living in Montreal deciding whether or not to veil  clip: Why Women Wear the Veil? o some face hostility and abuse (even from feminists) o university educated women, decided to wear niqab while not married o "When I talk, I have an opinion, I am important" o "Veil as a form of liberation" o questions from friends/family  concerned for safety  following culture vs. religion  eventually become happy, and protective o veiling played no part in upbringing, pare
More Less

Related notes for RELG 1641

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit