Anthropology
Course
ANTH 202
Professor
Eduardo Kohn
Semester
Fall

Description
Lecture 3    "Forest of Bliss" was meant to give a feeling of what it was like to be an anthropologist by just plunging you  into a strange world. Banares is a holy place for hindu's, the city of temples, many hindu's believe it is one of the best places to  die. The film is essentially about life and death, full circle, like the riddle of the sphinx.  There is one central way to arrive at anthropological knowledge and that is by being there and in some way  or another makes us uncomfortable.  Being there is also not just the "here" that we know, we need to have some anthropological difference, you  need to be on the outside looking in and be able to see it as strange. you experience something as a weird  strange place, there is also something familiar going on that you relate to and that is what freud called the  "uncanny"  Anthropology is about seeing the world as uncanny, it's about being able to find the events that pop up and  surprise you, it allows to shake loose something about ourselves so we can see ourselves more clearly.  The film is about life and death and death in life.  How does knowing less tell us something more? Archeologists can often infer more about the people of a civilisation through bones and ruins than from  people because from the outside they can look at things, others may not notice.  Takes us to a very important point of anthropology ­ the sense of otherness.  It can considered that the forest of bliss is considered inherently dishonest as it takes a modern place and  making it seem like they only care about primitive things. It does not give a clear idea of what a place such  as this is actually like.  Ways of anthropological knowledge.  Ways of knowing ­   ­ Field work: Anthropologits work in place that are strange ­  collecting data is different for each  anthropologist but one thing they all have in common is hanging out ­ participant observation.  Anthropology like all of the human sciences, we are the tools. the challenge is becoming aware of this and  using this for your own purposes. Ethonographies are thick descriptions. writing about being there.  What do anthropologist know? look at the questions in tandem, what do we know and how do we do this?  Forest of Bliss ­  Gardner uses his camera to see things in a different way ­ juxtapose that with the following  film.  The Ax Fight is an ethnographic film by anthropologist and filmmaker Tim Asch and  anthropologist Napoleon Chagnon about a conflict in a Yanomami village called Mishimishimabowei­teri, in  southern Venezuela.  "The Ax Fight" is composed of three consecutive segments, each of which depicts the same  event.  Although this may seem redundant at first, it artfully represents the layering of  ethnographic storymaking and multiple perspectives on an event.  The first layer is the raw footage of the  event.  Completely unedited, viewers hear and see everything the cameraman heard and saw, including  commentary which Tierney later uses to support his argument that Chagnon choreographed the event for  the cameras.  The second segment is more didactic. Chagnon, through the use of a voice­over, gives order  to the events by explaining the demographics of the village, the villagers' and visitors' relationships to each  other, and the rationale behind the events themselves.  He also clears up confusion caused by the film  crew's gossip about the roots of the conflict.  With maps and diagrams clearly made in the 1970s, Chagnon  and Asch illustrate the kinship structure of the Mishimishimabowei­teri and the patterns of conflict and  resolution of the village.  In the third and final segment, Asch and Chagnon present the viewer with the  finished product. Gone are the conjectures about the cause of the fight and Chagnon's complaints about  being used for his soap. Viewers are left with a polished linear story that illustrates both the complex  lineage systems of the Yanomami and their "fierceness" when provoked. A fight broke out in Mishimishimabowei­teri on the second day of Chagnon and Asch's stay in this village in  1971. The conflict developed between the villagers of Mishimishimabowei­teri and their visitors from another  village. The visitors had formerly been part of Mishimishimabowei­teri, and many still had ties with members  of that village. Their friends in Mishimishimabowei­teri had invited them to return, but other factions were  not pleased with this, reflecting a persistent tension in this large village of over 250 people. The visitors  refused to work in their hosts' gardens, yet they demanded to be fed. One visiting man beat a woman who  refused to give him plantains from her garden. She ran screaming and crying back to the village, where her  sister comforted her while her brother, her husband, and his relatives attempted to settle the dispute, first  with clubs and then with axes and machetes. Eventually the fight cooled down, as one man was hurt,  others placed themselves between the two groups, and women hurled insults at each other. The event lasted about half an hour, ten minutes of which were filmed. The film is constructed of four parts.  The first consists of an unedited version of what the cameraman saw and the sound technician recorded,  including the filmmakers' comments (Chagnon complains at one point "that's the tenth person today that's  asked me for my soap"). The apparent chaos of these first ten minutes is clarified in the second section, in  which Chagnon explains the sequence of actions in the fight, the relationships between the actors, and how  the filmmakers' initially confused interpretation of the events became coherent. The third section diagrams  the lineages in the villages involved to illustrate the fight's relationship to long­standing patterns of conflict  and alliance within the village. Finally, in an edited version of the fight, we see how the editors' hands shape  the "reality" we view. We are reminded of the tension between the need to produce a smoothly flowing film  and an informative document while maintaining the integrity of the event. The Ax Fight  thus operates on several levels. It plunges the viewer into the problems of Yanomamo  kinship, alliance, and village fission; of violence and conflict resolution. At the same time it raises questions  about how anthropologists and filmmakers translate their experience into meaningful words and coherent,  moving images. ­ Yanomami ­ fight between the Yanomami but will make sense later. sense o complexities of ilfe in a small life ­ confusion of the unedited filming  ­kinship  structure must be mapped out to understand the argument  • Relationships/who you are is related on kinship or no kinship  • Kinship is the imp entry to relationships  Goal of the movie: to understand what happened by examining and analyzing relationships ­ the film’s explanation is more objective than the Forest of Bliss ­ very presence of the anthropologist made the people fierce  ­ he gave the people axes that they were fighting over – anthropologists introduced an outside factor  into the society that made the people fierce towards one another  ­ the people were not prone to being fierce but anthropologists made them fierce  ­ observers change the observed Geertz – Cock Fight: ­ pandemonium  ­ he wants to understand meaning  ­ shagnan wants to know facts about social life but Geertz wants to know meaning – they want to  know about same thing but different ways ­ Ex. Pg­ 84 ­ he wasn’t accepted by the people until they saw him running in fear like them seeing  the police – so he had to act like them to be accepted  ­ certain things are unintelligible until we experience them  Maya Deren – The Living Gods of Haiti – Ethnography filmed in Haiti 1947­1951 – Divine  Horsemen ­ black­and­white documentary film about dance and possession in Haitian vodou ­ possessed people – even the anthropologist is possessed ­ participation in the ritual connect her to the people and the people to each other and the deity  ­ creole expression to walk together – Haiti amalgamated to a common religion so that people pray  together  ­each individual is doing the same thing yet not copying each other creating a big impact  3. Ways of Anthropological Knowing ­Participant observation­Ways of anthropological knowing ­Ethnography­Culture­Objectivity/subjectivity­ Meaning (as discussed in the texts so far) Making of the Forest of Bliss Robert Gardner 09/12/2013 “Everythging in this world is a eater or eaten…” The movie begins with predator dogs eating their prey implying that in order for one to live, another needs  to die referring back to the quote that everything in the workd is either an eater or is eaten.  Benares, India Gardner showcases a traditional Hindu’s life by the Ganges Unfolding the religious bliss of a priest’s daily  life in Benares and the laborious lifestyles of men working he uses movie as an ethnography to convey the Hindu culture  where sick people are believed to be cured by prayers and holy water/medication Stray animals are feeding of whatever they can find on the streets for survival while people hunt goats  Men beg on the streets for money  The surprising part of the movie is the indifference of the characters present to their surroudings –  indifference to the dogs feeding on corpses and other dead animals, crows landing on floating corpses,  people begging on the streets…the struggle for survival ­  Lecture 2:  Strangeness and Depth What is like to be an anthropologist emerged in a field? Film: Forest of Bliss (Robert Gardner)  Movie about life and death, Hindu lifestyle in Venasi.  Hindus prefer to die here How do I feel when I watch this film? Making of the Forest of Bliss Robert Gardner 09/12/2013 Interestingly enough, I want to analyze this film like I would in my English lit class, but I  can’t because I know what the rituals and symbols mean and stand for.  Sound of water makes me feel a sense of continuity…of what is unknown to me. When I saw the prey being eaten by the predator I almost got the goose bumps. And the quote from the  Upanishads “Everything in this world is eater or eaten, the seed is the fruit and the fire is the eater.” Added  to this feeling. Familiarity: when I saw the strand of hair on the man’s head, I could recognize that he was a Brahmin ▯  from the caste of Priests. Man with cigarette surprises me as it seems like they live in/near Holy Shrine near the Ganga river and are  performing religious rituals. Deep panting when speaking, makes them seem exhilarated or exhausted from some reasons I don't know  yet ▯ sustains my interest (curiosity) Only the men pray and conduct religious rituals. Social stratification of society. Women don't look up to camera and only look down and arrange flowers to string. When conch is blown after prayer, I feel a sense of comfort, and homeliness.  I have never seen “Hindu remedial work” being conducted to wake someone from a certain type of slumber  or “exorcism.” Dragging dead animals for sacrifice seems so normal here, while for me it is quite shocking, as I have  grown up in an environment where animal abuse is neither accepted nor tolerated. Songs with dholak remind me of my childhood. Celebration of death makes me raise my eyebrow, decorating body with pink cloth and flowers and  revolving around the body, taking its blessings (aashirwad) and heightening of music all adds to  strangeness of scene. Releasing body into the water ▯ not normal, usually the body is cremated.  Ends with religious prayers, and in the same light that it started with, repeated sounding of rowing a boat,  and heading off into the faded blue. Also interesting was that as an anthropologist, I was trying to connect myself to the society I saw. Trying to  relate somehow.  In terms of the riddle of the sphinx: Dogs eating prey: what goes on 4 in the morning Cane: symbol of mediation (3 in the night) and … Boy with the kite: the kite is in the air sort of a mediator Knowing less is more. As anthropologists, we don't know much about unknown places but, we can  understand the society more to a sense than those in it themselves: the locals. Making of the Forest of Bliss Robert Gardner 09/12/2013 Understanding of the “Death in life” in a society where we ourselves are death­denying.  Becoming Strange 09/12/2013 How do we compare the familiar and the strange to ourselves? What seems familiar to us becomes strange ? How can we compare others to ourselves? Article: Alternating Sounds by Boas ­ Boas’ critique is of the philologist, who were extremely racist saying that the native speakers could not  even speak just because they were speaking a different language  ­ Native speakers of different languages heard different sounds  ­ Anthropological way of doing things is to look at context.  ­ Boas argues that philologists didn’t pay attention to the context and so used their own context,  pronunciation schemes to learn the native languages.  ­ boas said that you cant just go to a society and pick out words to understand the language and  pronunciation  ­ Philologists are making up their own sounds because they don’t understand exactly what the natives are  speaking Context is the complex whole for anthropologists ­ how much context plays an important role in understanding anthropology is a debate  Article by Mead: Coming of Age ­ What we think is natural or unnatural is cultural..such as thinking that adolescence is stormy and  premarital sex is bashful  ­ we consider some things to be inappropriate and unnatural because of our culture Article: Nacirema  Becoming Strange 09/12/2013 What we assume to be natural such as health become cultural.  Film:  Microcultural Incidents in Ten Zoos by Birdwhistell • American anthropologist Ray L. Birdwhistell pioneered the analysis of nonverbal communication  with the invention of “kinesics,” a new field devoted to the decipherment of body language across  cultures. His work included an elaborate system of symbolic transcription for human movements,  and he proposed that virtually any gesture, no matter how seemingly minor or incidental, might  have expressive potential. Cinema played an important role in kinesics; after recording everyday  social activities on film, Birdwhistell later employed the footage for motion study, sometimes  performing the interpretation live in classrooms by using an analytic 16mm projector allowing for  slow­motion, freeze­frame, and replay. • Though Birdwhistell produced a number of documentaries and filmed lectures around these  concerns, his most inventive work is undoubtedlMicrocultural Incidents in Ten Zoos . The  film uses footage of families interacting with animals at zoos throughout the world: London, Paris,  Rome, New Dehli, Hong Kong, Tokyo, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. This material is then shot  off an auditorium’s screen as Birdwhistell lectures to a meeting of the American Anthropological  Association on the meaning of each gesture, while instructing t
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 202

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit