SOC 507 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Social Darwinism, Critical Race Theory, Jeremy Lin

86 views2 pages

Document Summary

Organized sport: overcoming racism vs. reinforcing racial stereotypes. Example: jeremy lin (previously of the new york knicks) experiences ongoing racism from sports reporters and fans (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause he (cid:862)does(cid:374)"t look like a (cid:271)asket(cid:271)all payer(cid:863) Certain sports are often associated with certain racial groups; i. e. tennis and ballet with white people. Sports are valued as: being good for individuals, a component of public policy (health policy, a medium of social cohesion equal playing field, a component of popular culture, a big business. Sport is also a site for overt racism and pervasive aboriginal and native images. Critical race theory: white power in sports include ideologies such as: Essentializing notions about race i. e. belief that blacks are natural athletes. View that these differences threaten whites and their cultures; whites are discouraged from playing sport because of black presence. Stacking: putting certain racial groups in positions that pertain to their biology; i. e. putting whites in roles of strategy and intellectual ability.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers