Sept. 24 – History III
1752 – Big French debate: musical taste, nationalism.
Rousseau in favor of Italian style
Rameau the champion of the French style
Picking sides was more than musical tastes; it was political, personal and classes within society.
Intermezzo geared towards middle class.
Comic opera is important – people tired of serious heroes and gods.
• parody of the opera.
• Popular tunes set to different words
• Shows put on independently
Eventually Vaudeville became Opéra Comique: Italian musical style.
Rousseau – comic opera
• Italian style closer to nature
• Lack of counterpoint a feature
• P.494 merits of Italian opera
• existed before Intermezzo
• long history not always light and funny
• between opera and comic opera
• 1752 independent from comic opera, in reference to Italian comic opera
Le Devin du Village:
• Italian style
o Simple harmonies in A section
o Phrases get longer B section • Intermède
• Air: Italian aria but less complex, lighter, simpler
• 1 theme
• Simple da capo aria
• Recitative in the middle but finishes with a statement of section A again.
Result of publicity: Italian style gets into Fr