BIOL 205 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Decomposer, Discovery Science, Multicellular Organism

208 views4 pages
BIOLOGY 205 NOTES
CHAPTER 1: EXPLORING BIOLOGY
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The system of organization in which successive levels incorporate and supersedes all of the levels below it. The living world can be organized into 2 systems: complexity: levels of organization. Biosphere: consists of the earth"s surface (ocean, land, etc. ) i. e. vancouver island. Ecosystem: natural subdivision of the biosphere i. e. forest in vancouver island. Community: assemblage of all organisms in an ecosystem i. e. all organisms in forest. Population: all individuals of one species within a community and have potential of interbreeding i. e. group of kermode black bears. Organism: a living individual i. e. single kermode bear. Organ system: group of 1+ organs that act together to carry out a basic function for an organism i. e. nervous system (brain, spine,) Organ: a structure composed of 2+ tissues carrying out a basic function for an organism i. e. brain. Tissue: grouping of cells + extracellular substances organized together to carry out a structure for a multicellular organism (never unicellular) i. e. nervous tissue.