POLI 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Jeremy Bentham

50 views2 pages

Document Summary

The specifics of power and authority were discussed. Simple and public, private subtle and preference shaping. Liberals are progressive (cl and rl), are open-minded (cl and rl), associated with welfare state (rl), freedom (cl and rl), taxes (rl) , tolerance (rl), forward thinking, affirmative action, libertarian (cl), and radical (rl) Support government intervention to extent where it shall help individual in equal opportunity and at the same time allow them to pursue their own desires. Conservatives are cautious, traditionalist, non-democratic, reactionary, capitalist, low taxes low profile, low involvement/intervention, pro-militaristic, small government, laissez-faire, individualism, bible thumping, reaganomics. Laissez-faire the government has little or (cid:374)o i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)e(cid:374)tio(cid:374) i(cid:374) the (cid:373)arket a(cid:374)d i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s li(cid:448)es since people and the market can fend for themselves. Present an ideal vision of what the political order should look like. Prescribe a means to transform the existing into the ideal. They contain elements of empirical, semantic, and normative elements.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers