RELS 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Sigmund Freud, Franz Boas, Carl Jung

217 views6 pages

Document Summary

Forms and orders of ceremonies (private or public) Prayer, worship, meditation, pilgrimage, sacrifice, sacramental rites, healing activities, modes of dress, possession, Story of christ"s life, death, resurre(cid:272)tio(cid:374), buddha"s life. History is the narrative which takes the place of myth elsewhere, so history taught in schools creates a major sense of national identity as well as pride in our ancestors and heroes. Stories that i(cid:374)terpret the u(cid:374)i(cid:448)erse a(cid:374)d hu(cid:373)a(cid:374)s" pla(cid:272)e i(cid:374) it. Different than what we learn in systematic thought and concepts; convey their own type of meaning and information; cannot be reduced to a group of statements. Types of narratives include historical narratives, creation narratives, destruction narratives, divine narratives. Narratives are closely connected with rituals (ritual often re-enacts myth) Basis of religious vitality and human significance, central to founding of a tradition. Experiences important in religious history (enlightenment of the buddha, prophetic visions of muhammad, conversion of paul) Associated emotional reactions to the world and to ritual.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers