SOCI 327 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Toronto Police Service, Grievous Bodily Harm, Police Legitimacy

63 views8 pages

Document Summary

Police legitimacy linked to public judgements about the process through which the police make decisions and exercise authority (e. g. during police- citizen interactions) In video: socialization teens talking to the police for dull compulsion and symbolization of police, police not being charged, police being bullied victimizatio(cid:374); (cid:396)easo(cid:374) (cid:449)h(cid:455) people do(cid:374)(cid:859)t (cid:449)a(cid:374)t to (cid:396)epo(cid:396)t (cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:373)e. Acted unstable towards others on a street car, exposing his genitals and holding a 3 inch knife. Initially police intended to use a taser to subdue yatim. Videos capturing the event show 9 shots fired in total following commands to drop the knife. Officer james forcillo, toronto police service, in jan 2016 found not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter, but guilty of attempted murder; sentenced to 6 years in prison: epo(cid:396)t i(cid:374)to to(cid:396)o(cid:374)to poli(cid:272)e se(cid:396)(cid:448)i(cid:272)e(cid:859)s use of lethal fo(cid:396)(cid:272)e. Pilot projects to equip more officers with tasers (currently only supervisory officers currently have stun guns) Body cameras to ensure legitimate use of force.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers