october 27th

7 Pages

Department
Anthropology
Course Code
ANTH 1120
Professor
E.Finnis

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
October 27 2011 ANTHRO*1120 Contemporary Human Diversity 1. Concept of “race”: a social construct  not biologically valid 2. Relationships between evolutionary processes and cultural-environmental contexts 3. Adaptive significance of human variation 4. As we change/evolve, so do other organisms Reminder: – Mutations and genetic variation – Natural selection – Polymorphisms: main focus of human variation studies (2 or more alleles) – How adaptive a gene/trait is depends on the environment ○ Dark moths and light moths in industrial England Types of natural selection – Directional selection: a particular trait seems to be positively favoured; average values shift over time – Normalizing selection: the average values do not change, but extremes removed ○ Birth weight- – Balancing selection: when a heterozygous combination of alleles is positively favoured even though a homozygous combination is disfavoured ○ Sickle cell allele Race: social construct, biological fallacy – Humans classify things (order world around us) ○ Classifications are not necessarily without bias ○ Linking physical traits with behavioural traits  Overlooks complexities (such as culture)  Draws on the biases of the classifier – Classifications can be essentializing , typological ○ Racial classifications: product of social/cultural beliefs re: inferiority/superiority ○ Historical and contemporary discrimination – anthropologists : concept of “race” cannot be applied to human variation – AAPA (quote (pg.228) Why? – Different populations not clearly classifiable by discrete traits For example: skin tone – No clear breaks between skin tones and no other physical traits that correspond with skin tones at all times – Also: epicanthic fold (pg. 233) Thus – No single group of traits always applies to a group of people all the time  there is variation within “groups” ○ Amount of genetic variation accounted for by differences between groups is less than variation that exists within groups The point? – Human are a polytypic species – Biological traits show clines ○ Clines: gradual differences, rather than sharp, discrete differences, for example:  Skin tone  Nose shape – “race” classifications attempt to make clear boundaries where they aren’t any (and are therefore divisive) We can ask: – If race is not a useful device for classifying humans, why is it so widely used today? Ideas of “biological determinism” – The (incorrect) belief that there is an association between physical characteristics and intelligence, behaviours, morals, values, abilities, social and economic status ○ Makes it possible to persecute others (a justification used to perpetuate inequalities) ○ Historical examples Biological determinism – Incorrect, but still prevalent today in various forms ○ Racism ○ So-called “research” that links ideas of intelligence and behaviours of 3 “races” Evolutionary Processs + Adaptive significance – Some human diversity not just due to physical stressors like UV radiation ○ Also part of a response to the environment we have modified with our own actions ○ Biology shapes culture and vice versa Examples – Malaria, sickle-cell allele and the rise/spread of agriculture in Africa ○ Mosquito breeding grounds, parasite spreads ○ Malaria as “a powerful selective force” Another aspect to malaria – Food: ○ Traditional crops: cassava, millet, sorghum, can sugar, dark lima beans ○ Contain cyanate and thiocyanate, which seem to inhibit the sickling of red blood cells- might reduce the symptoms of sickle cell anemia  Dietary changes thus can affect the sickle-cell situation Examples: – Lactase persistence (continued production of lactase enzyme after childhood; allows milk digestion) ○ Pastoralism and dependence on herd animals and milk  changes in the frequency of the lactase-persistent allele (selective pressure) The point? – Our actions, decisions, shape environment around us, and can also shape our biology – A dialectic ○ Dialectic: dynamic tension within a given system and the process by which change occurs on the basis of that tension Human variation + adaptive significance – Physical stressors ○ Extreme cold, extreme heat, UV radiation… ○ Adapting to different environments  Altitudes Variations in skin tone- why adaptive (advantageous)? – First discussed in terms of exposure to solar radiation ○ Darker tones closer to the equator  greater protection against skin cancers – Vitamin D ○ Liver, fish oils, butter, yolks, cream ○ But can be produced by body too through exposure to UV radiation ○ UV radiation weaker further from equator lighter skin would be advantageous in these regions ○ Rickets- vitamin D deficiency- larger forehead, wide bones, large abdomen, odd shaped legs – Folate degradation ○ Folate: important in fetal neural tube development  Neural tube: the anatomical structure that forms brain and spinal cord  Must be protected by bone  Spina bifida ○ Folate susceptible to degradation by UV radiation  Darker skin would offer some more protection (a selective advantage closer to Equator) A word of caution re: thrifty gene hypothesis (pg. 243-244) – Idea ○ Genetic change to store calories better- insulation against feast- famine cycles – Critiques ○ Cultural variation in the past ○ Severe famines rare; more deaths tend to come from disease, not starvation ○ Clear evidence of thrifty genes and what they do not yet discovered ○ Contemporary changes: costs of healthy food vs high-fat, high sugar food in isolated areas; changes in activity patterns – Seasonal change on yearly basi
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit