BIOC 2580 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Non-Competitive Inhibition, Competitive Inhibition, Enzyme

18 views3 pages

Document Summary

Competitive inhibition can be easily seen using a lineweaver-burk plot. No effect on vmax, so all graph lines have same y intercept (y-int = 1/vmax) Km" increases as [i] increases, so x intercept gets smaller (x-int = - 1/km1. Non-competitive inhibition arises when inhibitor can bind to both e and. Formation of ei and eis means less es to undergo catalysis, but substrate can still bind to ei without yielding product. Inhibitor binding site is different from substrate binding site. Bound inhibitor may disorganize the catalytic component of enzyme. If ei and eis steps each have a different ki, get mixed inhibition. Enzyme behaviour in the presence of non-competitive inhibitor effect of increasing [s] when [i] is held constant. Vmax decreases as [i] increases: v"max = vmax / (1 +[i]/ki) Km is unchanged (mixed inhibition may show a small effect) Ki is the concentration of inhibitor [i] that causes vmax to halve.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers