BIOL 1080 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Drosophila Melanogaster, Fluorescent Tag, Insulin Resistance

30 views4 pages

Document Summary

Bio lecture 4 research and research models. Experimental models (7-13 background) simulations with mathematical models (in silico) I(cid:374) (cid:448)itro (cid:858)i(cid:374) glass(cid:859) a(cid:374)d e(cid:454)-(cid:448)i(cid:448)o (cid:858)out of the li(cid:448)i(cid:374)g(cid:859) They are used to repair areas which are burned. Animal models nematodes and fruit flies (genetics) Elegans (nematode) 40% genetic homology to humans: easy to study and cheap, short lifestyle (3 days, self fertilized, can be frozen, thawed and reused, transparent facilitates study of cell differentiation, example: embryonic metabolism. Shutting of and turning on of genes and pathways. Use a fluorescent tag to follow digestion of a nutrient, synthesis of proteins, cholesterol: ex: drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly) 65% genetic homology. Life cycle and development are very sensitive to environmental conditions used in neuropharmacology research to study effects of drugs and alcohol. Three-month old rat is physically mature: some genetically modified rats, but not as common as with mice. Zucker rats lack leptin receptors and are obese (used to study obesity.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers