BIOL 1090 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Spermatogenesis, Ovulation, Down Syndrome

24 views4 pages

Document Summary

Recall mitosis (sister chromatids: each chromatid is replicated exactly during dna synthesis to generate two identical sister chromatids, during mitosis, sister chromatids are separated, mitosis generated two genetically identical daughter calls. Occurs in the bodies stem cells (e. g. colon) End up with 2 diploid, genetically identical cells: meiosis. End up with 4 haploid genetically distinct cells. How do we go from one 2n;2c mother cell to four non-identical daughter cells with just 1n;1c refer slide 7. Like mitosis, meiosis begins with a duplicated genome slide 11. In mitosis and meiosis, g1, s, g2 are the same slide 12: mitosis. Homologous chromosomes separate first, followed by separation of sister chromatids. Recall prophase to metaphase transition in mitosis: duplicated chromosomes migrate to the equatorial plane of the cell and the nuclear membrane breaks down. In meiosis, homologous chromosomes (not sister chromatids) align*** Meiosis i: prophase i, leptonema, zygonema, pachynema, diploname, diakenisis, metaphase i, anaphase i, telophase i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers