Nov 21.docx

5 Pages

Department
Engineering
Course Code
ENGG 2100
Professor
John Runciman

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
Ignoring Safety Measures…Road safety: Failure to anticipate events…Chernobyl, Ukraine: th • April 26 , 1986 • “Routine” experiment attempted • Runaway reaction & Nuclear meltdown • 30 km dead zone, 10000’s casualties • Largest nuclear incident of all time • Poor training, design flaws and safety systems ignored or turned off • Canada has had 2 smaller incidences Failure to anticipate Events…Laval overpass 12:30 pm, Saturday Sept 30 2006 Overpassed killing 5 ad injuring 6 One hour earlier an inspector picked up concrete debris under the bridge In May 2005, overpass fully inspected and given a clean bill of health In 2000,another bridge in Laval collapsed, killing 1 “What is unfortunate is we built and built and built without thinking we’re going to have to maintain it” What is “safe”? What is the definition of “SAFE”? It is safe if the ‘risks’are judged acceptable • This judgement can be formalized laws/reg’ns • This judgement is not always formalized  you! The overriding aim is to protect public safety Resulting demands Placed on an engineer • It is arbitrary • It requires judgement • It requires intuition Hazard, risk and risk assessment: Ahazard is the consequence of an event • Disease • Natural • Technological failure • Accidents • Sociopolitical • Etc… Risk assessment: Weighing the risk vs. hazard (i.e. potential versus consequence) E.g.: flying (aeroplanes) What is acceptable? • New hazard information • Changing priorities Cost-benefit analysis • What is a life worth…a finger…an eye Asample of applicable regulatory bodies: National: • Health Canada, i.e., DeviceApprovals and Consumer Product Safety Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and safety • Transport Canada • The Canadian Nuclear Safety etc. Provincial: • Professional Engineers Ontario • Ontario Ministry of Labour, Ontario Health and SafetyAct and Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) • Ontario Ministry of Labour i.e., Clean WaterAct • Technical Safety and StandardsAuthority (TSSA) • Ontario
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit