FRHD 3400 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Unconditional Positive Regard

30 views2 pages
Person-Centered Approach Carl Rogers
Idiiduals hae the eas to gro eod the liitatios of their eperiees & ork toard greater
self-actualization when facilitated by a consistent & reliable relationship with an empathic, accepting
pratitioer Rogers, 1951
Person-Centered is seen as the first American system of psychotherapy
Revolutionized the counselling profession by demonstrating and proving the critical
significance of relationships (empathy and acceptance) in the helping professions
Humanism
Rogers was greatly influenced by Humanism
People are basically strong and capable
Given the right circumstances people have an ability to handle difficulties and realize
potential
Rogers felt that individuals are experts of their own problems, and search for meaning and
purpose in life
Negative antisocial emotions are the result of unmet needs
In particular, needs for love and belonging
The fully functioning person is
Open to experience
Lives with a sense of meaning and purpose
Acceptance and Self
Self-concept the self hih I urretl oeptualize self as eig
Unconditional positive regard perso’s satisfatio at reeiig approal fro others
Positive self-regard oe’s sese of persoal satisfatio ith o atios
Core Therapeutic Conditions
Rogers felt strongly that it is important for the professional to reflect on the following:
Genuine: Am I authentic?
Congruency: Am I all in one piece?
Immediacy: Am I in the moment?
Warmth: Am I creating a warm, inviting atmosphere?
Aeptae: Do I are for ad prize this perso?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Person-centered approach carl rogers (cid:862)i(cid:374)di(cid:448)iduals ha(cid:448)e the (cid:373)ea(cid:374)s to gro(cid:449) (cid:271)e(cid:455)o(cid:374)d the li(cid:373)itatio(cid:374)s of their e(cid:454)perie(cid:374)(cid:272)es & (cid:449)ork to(cid:449)ard greater self-actualization when facilitated by a consistent & reliable relationship with an empathic, accepting pra(cid:272)titio(cid:374)er(cid:863) rogers, 1951. Person-centered is seen as the first american system of psychotherapy: revolutionized the counselling profession by demonstrating and proving the critical significance of relationships (empathy and acceptance) in the helping professions. Rogers was greatly influenced by humanism: people are basically strong and capable, given the right circumstances people have an ability to handle difficulties and realize potential. Rogers felt that individuals are experts of their own problems, and search for meaning and purpose in life. Negative antisocial emotions are the result of unmet needs. The fully functioning person is: open to experience. Lives with a sense of meaning and purpose. Self-concept (cid:862)the self (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h i (cid:272)urre(cid:374)tl(cid:455) (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)eptualize (cid:373)(cid:455)self as (cid:271)ei(cid:374)g(cid:863) Unconditional positive regard perso(cid:374)"s satisfa(cid:272)tio(cid:374) at re(cid:272)ei(cid:448)i(cid:374)g appro(cid:448)al fro(cid:373) others.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers