HIST 2450 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Collins English Dictionary, Hilda Kean, David Lowenthal

46 views2 pages

Document Summary

National council on public history the many and diverse ways history is used . How does history get used in public? i. e. museums, commemorations, etc. Robert kelly (d. 1993) launched the public history movement. Educated people in a university setting; push to bring public history into academia. Emma wilmer public history is history, practically applied. Argues that academic histories (i. e. traditional history) have little to no application in real life". Academic history seems to be taken more seriously than public history. Main difference is the area of communication i. e. magazines, internet, etc. Going to the homes of holocaust victims and placing plaques into the ground in front of their houses (i. e. name, date, concentration camp) Vivid example of public history different delivery of information; delivering history publicly instead of a classroom setting. Became a major form of holocaust information; long-term presence. Critical of academics for writing that is alienating for the public.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers