History
Course
HIST 2600
Professor
Rebecca Beausaert
Semester
Winter

Description
Jan 29 2014 Week 4: Lecture 2 Religion, Leisure and Moral/Social Reform 1. importance of studying leisure/sport a. what were Canadians doing with their spare time b. how did leisure affect the family c. early 1900s d. are they pursuing disreputable forms of leisure (excessive drinking, drug taking, gambling) e. how are women spending their leisure time f. how are the working class spending their leisure time g. how are immigrants spending their leisure time h. politicians, reformers, etc promote healthy reputable forms of leisure i. new host of leisure activities 2. major changes iththe ways that Canadians played a. late 19 to 1910s b. industrialization i. with creating of the factory system, Canadians days become more scheduled ii. set free time iii. weekend is created iv. implementation of public holidays v. creation of mass produced affordable goods vi. board games and cards, etc are created vii. mass produced sports sets c. greater disposable income i. affects middle and upper class mostly d. transportation revolution i. people can travel for leisure, vacation e. more recognition of health and education i. tied up in social reform movement ii. benefits of fresh air are recognized iii. more attention is payed to exercise and healthy bodies as well as exircising the mind iv. idea that idleness is a problem f. creation of leisure spaces i. more attention to towns and cities putting more effort in creating spaces for playing ii. public parks, rec centres, arenas, theatres and public halls iii. paving streets and sidewalks; makes it easier to get around and be outside 3. public leisure a. go out and listening to music; bands playing shows, going to the opera, going to the theatres or halls, churchs put on musical productions, joining choirs, homes had musical instruments in the home b. attending the theatre was huge, every city had multiple theatres and small towns had atleast one c. travelling theatre groups from the us, would stop at every city d. large cities had theatres for each classes; upper, middle and lower e. some religious officials called thethres the ‘gaths of hell’ f. a lot of criticism that the late 19 to early 20 century productions contained a lot of inappropriate behaviour g. minstralzy; white people in black face performing in a skit performnig popular black stereotypes, eating watermelon, dancing silly, strumming banjos, i. extremely popular as a form of theatre ii. religious officials thought it was too lewd for audiences h. Shakespeare was very popular i. Quebecs productions had nationalist overtones, very politically charged j. Films and movie theatres are becoming popular thanks to advances in photographic technology k. Later 1880s, motion picture cameras are invented l. First films in 1890s are shown outdoors on a large screen and are very short m. One of the first films in Canada to be shown; outdoors in Ottawa and was called ‘the kiss’in 1896 n. Movie is 35 seconds long of a couple awkwardly kissing and causes an uproar o. Nickelodens cost a nickel to get in; movie theatres struggled to be accepted by politicians, religious officials, etc p. Movie theatres were made in working class neighbourhoods so it was associated with the bad behaviours of the working class q. Dance halls faced criticism because people were worried about pre marital sex, r. T
More Less

Related notes for HIST 2600

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit