MUSC 2150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Dj Kool Herc, Kevin Donovan, Afrika Bambaataa

56 views2 pages

Document Summary

Lots of elements to it that reveal musical sophistication. Emerged in the 70"s as a complex comprehensive culture. Includes distinctive styles of graffiti, dance, music, dress, and speech. A rejection of mainstream dance music (disco), but also ironically takes elements from it. Early celebrities include kool herc (clive campbell, b. jamaica), grandmaster flash (joseph. Sadler, b. jamaica), and africa bambaataa (kevin donovan, b. bronx) Intensely place centered- make references to specific places and time, local identities. Mixing between turntables to achieve smooth transitions between records. The 3rd avenue ballroom was packed, and i figured i might as well give it a try. So, i put on two copies of james brown"s sex machine" and started scratching up one. Kool herc: recited rhyming phrases over backbeat on his turntables. Toasting: a form of storytelling with roots in the trickster stories (has roots in west africa and in.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers