PHIL 2030 Lecture 14: Philosophy Lecture 14

6 views2 pages

Document Summary

Wednesday, november 2, 2016 knowing and acting in medical practice. My past experience with many similar patients confirms this evidence. Therefore, i recommend treat(cid:373)e(cid:374)t x to (cid:373)y patie(cid:374)t. (cid:863) (cid:862)the (cid:272)li(cid:374)i(cid:272)al e(cid:448)ide(cid:374)(cid:272)e i(cid:374)di(cid:272)ates that treat(cid:373)e(cid:374)t x is the (cid:271)est respo(cid:374)se for condition y for patients under circumstances z. My past experience with patients suggests treatment a works better. Evidence (large sample, statistically significant findings, average effect) vs. Experience (limited sample, can capture nuances of particular case, particular effect) Evidence based medicine: (cid:862)[ebm] de-emphasizes intuition, unsystematic clinical experience, and pathophysiological rationale as sufficient grounds for clinical decision making and stresses the examination of evidence from clinical research(cid:863). Intuition: hunches: clinical experience: knowledge that comes from lengthy experience as a practitioner, pathophysiological rationale: the study of biological and physiological manifestations of disease, stresses: Medical decisions based on the best evidence* from the clinical literature. Best evidence: outcomes research preferred over bench science.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers