Philosophy
Course
PHIL 3210
Professor
Patricia Sheridan
Semester
Fall

Description
Princess Elizabeth:The Mind-Body Problem Descartes’s Mind –Body Theory; The Meditations – Sept 10 Descartes Mind Body Dualism Substance Dualism  Material account of body  Spiritual account of mind The relationship between them  The ‘intimate union’ Descartes’s Project Universal Doubt New Foundations for knowledge  Skepticism and the basis for rational assent – test the grounds to prevent fallacies o Find true grounds for assent Dream Argument  Attacks sensor perception – don’t always know if you’re asleep or awake, cant trust your senses, how do you know if you’re dreaming – how do you know for sure o I can still sleep mathematically if I’m sleeping – I still know 2+2=4 Evil Demon Argument  Making you believe 2+2=4, making you believe that you’re right even though you’re wrong, evil demon feeding you all your sensory information, manipulate your thoughts Is there anything we can know with certainty? I am aware of my thoughts, I know I’m thinking, doubting  The act of doubting is something, I am aware of something, I am aware of myself my thoughts o Curial discovery o Defeat skepticism with this If I can move my body with my body why can’t I move objects? When he talks about bodies he means anything material or mater:  Occupies space  Doesn’t think  What things are made of  Not self moving  Passive – it is acted upon  Not connected to the divine  Divisible – chunk matter up, atomic parts (corpuscles) Spirit, Mind Soul  Mind connects you to the divine  Eternal  Intangible  Doesn’t take up space  WILL Dualism What is body or matter? What is mind or spirit? Dualism: mind and body are distinct kinds of things Substance Dualism  They have essentially distinct qualities  Completely distinct things – both substances soul leaves the body when it dies, if it thinks it is not material and materials don’t have thoughts Two Substances Mind:  Incorporeal  Intellectual  Immoral God and human souls Body:  Corporeal  Non-rational  Moral All other things in the universe (The nature of the body--- the first such belief was that I had a face etc. pg4) (Mechanical Body and Human Experience ---By a ‘body’ I Understand pg5) So, they’re interdependent? The answer is a bit complicated for Descartes Lets think about this in a Cartesian way Imagine you have a different body, or that your bod
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 3210

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit