PSYC*1000 video documentary – Week 8
National Geographic Explorer
Science of Babies
Aired on National Geographic Channel in 2007
Companion website: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/explorer/episodes/
1. Why are humans born at 9 months gestation?
• Given the helplessness of newborn humans, why aren’t we born later?
Fetus ourside the womb, larger brains relative to body size, big head
through small birth canal, ﬁt is tighter than in quadreapeds.
2. Innate mechanisms for newborn-mother attachment:
• In what ways do the newborn visual and auditory system seem tuned for the
recognition of the mother?
• Can recongize mothers voice from inside womb, can ony see far enough
to a nursing mothers face
• Why does the walking reﬂex disappear after about 6 weeks?
• The muscles are not strong enough to move the now largely grown legs
• Babies look longer at something that is _surprising and interesting
• At which of the following do 4 and 6 month old babies look longer: (1+1=1)
• 1+1 = 1
5. Growing and pruning of neural connections:
True or false: The brain doubles in size in the ﬁrst year because new
neurons are being grown? False, adding more connections
• Who has the most neural connections: newborn, 6 month old, or 6 year old?
a 6 year old
• What is the mechanism by which connections are pruned? E