PSYC 2450 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Learned Helplessness, Object Permanence, Proprioception

20 views4 pages

Document Summary

Development of self and social cognition: lecture 1. Content (who am i? e. g. , i of german ethnic origin ) Assumes there is recognition of an i"; a sense of the self as an object. Evaluative judgment: self-esteem (german and that"s terrible!!!!!!) Briefly describe level ______ (e. g. , 4; present self) of self-development as presented in class. Be sure to describe the competencies at that stage along with what child behaviors (or tests) would indicate the presence/absence of this level of self-development. For the purpose of this course: 5 level model. An infant is capable of primitive self-other differentiation (e. g. , looming); basic self-consciousness (analogy: waking in the morning story) I-can self @ 2-3 mos (the very early latent beginnings of schemas for helpfulness) Present self: self-recognition-@2 yrs (baby looking in the mirror) Extended self: self-through-time: @ 4-5 yrs (came to develop existential self. ) Always assumed the babies world was schizophrenic. Piaget"s object permanence @end of sensorimotor period (18-24 mos)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers