PSYC 3690 (27)
Lecture 2

Lecture 2.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 3690
Benjamin Gottlieb

Jan.10, 2013 Lecture #2 What is Community Mental Health?  Ads in paper and other places help to encourage people with mental health issues to reach out  Mental health – issue affecting functioning and our happiness  Anybody can call themselves a counsellor (no credentials required)  Psychologists charge $130/hr  Mental health of the population is a huge deal!  Vast majority of people with a clinically diagnosable mental problem don’t reach out because of stigma (such as fear of the unknown and fear of being unable to face the consequences and are reluctant to admit they have a problem)  Best to get rid of the problem early! – then you can build in resisting skills and ways to cope  Resilience – regardless of the walls that are put up, we will grow and cope Characteristics of Positive Mental Health  Emotional stability/Regulation – one of the primary goals when facing stress is managing your emotions so you don’t over react/ underreact  Happiness/quality of life o The most positive affect of any age group is present in elderly  Absence of illness/ disease/ absence of a substance dependency  Effective coping skills/strategies and personal resource – optimism, RESILIENCY  Self-esteem/ self-acceptance - (be ok with who you are), a sense of identity/ self-efficacy  Ability to interpret life events in a positive way  Social skills/ ties – ability to maintain social network and support it o Individuals who commit terrible crimes (i.e. sandy hook) often don’t have a social network and develop ideas which aren’t corrected by others around them o Main function of social ties is feedback about feelings and their appropriateness, behaviour, clothes etc.  Ability to think rationally (reality testing) – ability to know what is real and what isn’t (no delusions) – people who do not have this and have no social ties are more likely to act on the delusions (we get feedback from social ties which allows us to determine what is acceptable)  Self-understanding – understanding the reasons behind your emotions and why you think that way  Logical reasoning  Self-care skills and motivation - looking after yourself emotionally and physically  Spirituality – belief in something/ purpose in life, a set of goals that are meaningful o Purpose/ meaning/ goals – Am I clear about my values?  Self-efficacy – I CAN! Literature definitions  Self-acceptance (not self-esteem) – possess a positive attitude toward themselves, accepts the fact that they are multi-dimensional (multiple personalities), and also people high in this include their warts (limitations) and accept them as well as your past  Positive relations with others – warm, satisfying, trusting relationships with others and care more about people’s welfare – high empathy, affection and intimacy o People who have this understand about reciprocity (give and take); reciprocity is what makes relationships work – ex. Dependent people such as people who have been in mental health care for others and don’t believe they have anything to give o People who don’t understand this and only take from people
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3690

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.