Sociology
Course
SOC 1500
Professor
Ryan Broll
Semester
Winter

Description
Studying Crime January 12, 2017  Defining crime…  Objectivist–legal vs. social reaction  Objectivist-Legal: criminologists should focus on “rule breakers” o Core Question: What are causes of criminal behaviour? o Canadian Criminal Law is focused on this o Has informed several prominent criminological theories 1. Administrative Law:  form of public law,  governs relationship between individuals and the state  i.e. labour laws, environmental laws, licenses (liquor, drivers,etc.) 2. Civil Law:  form of private law,  governs relationship between individuals  i.e. contracts, wills, real estate  resolved by lawsuits, private settlements, or civil courts  civil court = balance of probability 3.Criminal Law:  form of public law,  governs threat to social order  ie. crimes against the person (homicide, assault)  property crimes (thefts, vandalism)  offences that are wrong with no obvious victim (illegal drug use)  criminal court = without a reasonable doubt  Canadian Criminal Law: informed by objectivist-legalist perspective  actus reus (guilty act)  mens rea (guilty mind/intent) o under 12 cannot be convicted because cannot possess mens rea or have mental disability  prosecution = crown  Crime and Social Reaction:  labelling theorists argued that deviance is constructed o “The deviant is one to whom that label has successfully been applied; deviant behaviour is behaviours that people so label” (Becker 1963: 9)  Grounded in
More Less

Related notes for SOC 1500

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit