SOC 3490 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Ku Klux Klan, Institutional Racism, Toronto Police Service

71 views6 pages

Document Summary

Institutions: police can have racist policies, courts can have racist policies (i. e towards aboriginal people) Domination: racism by the whole society i. e apartheid in south africa. Could be a dislike of a certain group of people (familiarity usually decreases racism) Institutional exclusion of people i. e no jew"s entering a certain university. Could have very open ideology against a group of people i. e nazi germany. Prejudice: attitude or prejudging in a negative way. Ideologies and practices which control, exclude or to exploit racialized people. Institutional racism: nazi germany, various rules, practices and procedures of institutions result in exclusion (if you aggregate the data there would be a pattern in sentencing) Systemic racism: may be unconscious, racism in the legal system, due to biases. *white and black get the same charge, same circumstances, but sentencing may be different. *people don"t realize that they are doing it. People can be in complete denial that racial pro ling occurs (ie blair about the toronto.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers